Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you charge to tear off the old siding??

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
grumpy, so you are saying $50 per sq to remove wood siding, is that labor only or are you including disposal and overhead in that price?? I was figuring about $100 give or take including everything for tearoff, is this price off??

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
That's labor and disposal and overhead and profit for the tear off ONLY. I charge a min of $200 a square for an .042 siding. I add for tear off. I add for tyvek. I add for insulation. I add for tough difficult jobs. I add for windows. I add for doors. I add for fascia. I add for soffit. I add for gable vents. I add for shutters.

If your tearing off wood be prepared to install a backer board. I charge extra for that too.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bid it today at $325 a sq......and got the job on the spot.......must have been quite a bit lower than the others. We do mainly roofing and new siding work, but occasionaly we get a siding tear off and dont bid them enough to know the going rate....thanks for your input grumpy.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Price isn't everything. Maybe they trusted you more than the other guys. I've had people dyeing to sign up before I even gave them a price just because I explained everythign to them to make sure they understood. I'm never the cheapest and we stay in business ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Grumpy said:
A backer board is the wall behind your siding. In new construction it is usually a 1/2" CDX. In older homes it is 1"x8" boards fastened horizontally across the studs.
thanks; I thought it was just called sheathing; is there any reason why I can't use 1x8s when I repair the section i'm taking out? do they need to be tongue and groove?
Tersh

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Sheathing is the term used on new construction 1/2" cdx. The backer board could be called sheathing but it is actually a board, not a sheet (1x8).

If you take out a 1x8 you can install a 1x8 I see no reason why not, unless local building code prohibits that. We replace the 1x8 all the time if it's rotted or damaged.

It's very hard to install T&G in a replacement application. I can think of no way without cutting off one of the tongues, which makes the T&G useless.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tear off?

I've got masonite siding , 22 years old, not too bad of shape. I want to reside and rewindow. Do I need to tear off or can I just go over the masonnite after making any repairs to the masonite ? I plan to use Hardi shingle syle panels.

Thanks for the input,

Don

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the reply Grumpy !

Don

Grumpy said:
Don, you should be able to side over the masonine siding assuming it is in good shape and flat. If it's not flat you will need to install an insulation board to smooth the surface.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Grumpy said:
That's labor and disposal and overhead and profit for the tear off ONLY. I charge a min of $200 a square for an .042 siding. I add for tear off. I add for tyvek. I add for insulation. I add for tough difficult jobs. I add for windows. I add for doors. I add for fascia. I add for soffit. I add for gable vents. I add for shutters.

If your tearing off wood be prepared to install a backer board. I charge extra for that too.

Forgive me if this sounds like a dumb question, but are you referring to a sq. foot or yard? We currently live in New Jersey. We are getting ready to get some pricing on having our siding changed from wood to vinyl. Would the pricing be the same where you are opposed to where we are?

·
Registered
8 Posts
grumpy you should always strip off all the old siding cause you can never tell what you are covering over by not stripping . also it is hard to flash properly for water by not stripping.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I go over masonite all of the time. I agree with Grumpy - if it is in good shape, put up the foam board. Also, flashing shouldn't be a problem if you can bend your own.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Morning Guys

Listen I got a ques as to resideing a house that is nextdoor from mine, the house was vinal sided about 20 years ago by a real hack, for the last 3 - 4 years the stuff was always blowing off.

The people got in touch with some one and got a deal as long as they stripped of the old stuff OK.

They pulled off all of the siding and when the guy came back he said all of the foam ins has to go as well, which they pulled off last weekend.

Yesterday the guy started the new sideing rigth over the old wood shingles which had a one point had been painted.

SO I asked the guy about the ins and or if they required any tyvac, and he said no as the old siding is enough to insulate with out any vapor barrier.

My question is why did they go and put the foam on the first time and then not need it now, we are in the MA- NH border and winters are cold?

Thanks Guys

BJD

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
sidewaller said:
grumpy you should always strip off all the old siding cause you can never tell what you are covering over by not stripping . also it is hard to flash properly for water by not stripping.
I agree that you do get a better installation by going over the siding but it's totally allowed by code and most guys out here don't even want to mess with the tear off, unless it's absolutely 100% necessary.

I don't find flashing to be a problem either. Tape the flashings to the tyvek and all's good.

bjd said:
...they got a deal...
That's what got them in this mess in the first place. Someone needs to educate them on how to buy home improvement purchases.

Vapor barrier is not an insulation... it is a vapor barrier. LOL The two are apples and oranges. The insulation was more than likley put in place to create a smooth surface for the new siding. You said shingles, and I assume you mean cedar shingles. The surface of cedar shingles will carry many ups and downs and bumps etc... That siding will probably look worse than the first time. It appears to me they hired one hack to fix another hack's messups.

BTW cedar shingles and shakes I always consider it a must to tear off. I won't even go over them after installing an insulation board.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Thanks Grump

I kinda though that they were a little off on the design, and yep there sure is LoTs Of BuMpS.

Thanks Again
BJD

1 - 20 of 20 Posts