Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
13,024 Posts
Back in the day, our whole crew would get the Craftsman 25 footers. Decent tape, and they would replace it forever, or so we thought.
Eventually, they would give you a lesser Companion brand tape, as they no longer supported the warranty
then they just gave you the tape insert and it was not worth the trouble to install it

·
Registered
13,024 Posts
There was a guy who lived near me who wished he was harnessed in a boom lift 20 ft off the ground, shot himself right out of the bucket killing himself. His wife tried to sue everyone involved but got next to nothing, she did not know it was on a security camera.

·
Registered
13,024 Posts
Ok. How would having a harness have helped him? Shoot out and then bounce back into the machine? Wouldn't that kill him just as dead?

Not being a smartypants here. Just wondered about this for a couple decades now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
From what a power company safety guy said the tether is very short like 2 feet, he never would have left the bucket. He did a laundry list of other stuff wrong also but the tether would have saved his life

·
Registered
13,024 Posts
While incidents like that are tragic indeed, I sometimes think TPTB go a little too far trying to regulate against Darwinism. Common sense says you're asking for it if you're 60' up and moving the lift over rough terrain.
This guy was 25 feet off the ground, pulling out fence posts from the bucket, electrical boom so it has a fiberglass section and is more springy, was not tied in. He was an onsite union electrician who worked for an electrical firm who kept him at this facility full time incase he was needed. He was not authorized to remove the posts, even if he was he should have done it from the ground, he just did not know he was on camera.

·
Registered
13,024 Posts
Man talk about handy as a shirt on a pocket. I was really surprised at how much torque I can put on a bolt in these inserts. Kinda like a track saw, don't know how many uses you'll find till ya have one.

I'm putting together a roll around computer stand for our laser room with salvaged parts from an old drafting table. Needed to add the wheels, so I put 4 rivet nuts in the steel tubing frame. Nice not having to break out the welder.

View attachment 521049

I got one 2 years ago and it comes in very handy

·
Registered
13,024 Posts
Bought this last night on clearance for $215. Wanted something to cut the small yard at our flip house, and the tricky spots at ours. Very impressed. Battery ran for about 45 minutes. Would probably go longer if not using the self propelled.
get 2 of them to cut a bigger lawn

·
Registered
13,024 Posts

·
Registered
13,024 Posts
I've been keeping my eye out for a small fixed descending bandsaw (like a chop saw style) but they don't really make them very small. I might have to pick up a larger unit, we'll see.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
There is a company that makes a whole line up of small craft tools, almost miniature tools. The name escapes me right now but there are also knock offs of their tools on Ebay also

Proxxon is the name

41 - 60 of 60 Posts