Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
701 - 720 of 4415 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
My 12v DeWalt drill finally died after 5 years of abuse (drilling large holes and long fasteners). Replaced it with the cheapest brushless 20v to match the rest of my cordless. Came with two 1.5 batteries.

I was so used to always having a 5 ah on everything. These little batts are just so light it changes how every tool (impact, hammer drill, Brad nailer) feels. Add me to the crowd that would rather swap a battery a couple times in order to carry a much lighter tool.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
848 Posts
Here's the straw that broke the camel's back. 14.4V Lithium set. Two were replaced under warranty, second time one crapped out it was the brushes. I bring it in and told them just get me a new set of brushes...hilti rep says they can't. I asked why, he said the only part they can order is the trigger, if it's anything else they don't repair it they only repalce it. I said so I can't buy one freaking set of brushes and he said no, it will be replaced and since Hilti has a repair cost limit it will be the max repair fee of $160 for the tool body replacement.

I thought about it...I had dewalt before and they lasted longer and were cheaper to fix and cost about 40% less. So I went back to DeWalt and I genuinly feel they make an equivelent product, if not a little more robust, for a fraction of the price when it comes to cordless drills and impact drivers.
I could see how that would get some one turned off by the brand. Not sure what they cost for the old brushed drills, but do know the brushes for the corded saws are $30 a pair.

I should also add I find DeWalt to be one of the least ergonnomic, the Milwaukee and Hilti feels better in the hand, but DeWalt's flagship drills have always stood the test of time for me, never had a trigger failure, they use high quality chucks like Jacob's (previous) and Rohm (current)...and the only brand to enact backwards compatibility with batteries.
HILTI has backwards compatibility now as well went from 18+V to the new 22V. though its the same batteries just mark different now :laughing:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I could see how that would get some one turned off by the brand. Not sure what they cost for the old brushed drills, but do know the brushes for the corded saws are $30 a pair.

HILTI has backwards compatibility now as well went from 18+V to the new 22V. though its the same batteries just mark different now :laughing:
It was only in the NA market they called them 18v+.

Hilti was late to adopt brushless in their cordless drills...I think their 12V are still brushed.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't know if this counts towards my addiction but it is "new"

Been working on this band sawmill for a while. Lots of build something, realize it probably wont work, build something else that probably wont work, etc etc.

Have a collection of ~30"-48" logs of various hardwoods I've been accruing for a few years that I've been planning to slab with my chainsaw mill but I didn't want to lose 1/2" of material on every rip so... this was the logical solution.

Attachments

·
Registered
Remodel
35,646 Posts
Awesome!

I used to see bandsaws made out of washer and bicycle parts. Old carpenters that still used only handsaws and hammers on site. They'd build a table saw and bandsaw with wood and free parts.

These days, I think the variable speed treadmills would be a better motor and controller donor.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Awesome!

I used to see bandsaws made out of washer and bicycle parts. Old carpenters that still used only handsaws and hammers on site. They'd build a table saw and bandsaw with wood and free parts.

These days, I think the variable speed treadmills would be a better motor and controller donor.
Realistically it needs a gas motor, I doubt this motor or any electric motor that isn't 3 phase would be sufficient. From what I've gathered this size mill needs at least 8hp to effectively cut through 20-24" diameter hardwood logs. Harbor Freight has a 400cc 8.5hp motor for around $250 that is supposedly pretty reliable. Thought about borrowing the 13hp Honda motor from my pressure washer but I'd rather not start down that road.

·
Registered
Remodel
35,646 Posts
Realistically it needs a gas motor, I doubt this motor or any electric motor that isn't 3 phase would be sufficient. From what I've gathered this size mill needs at least 8hp to effectively cut through 20-24" diameter hardwood logs. Harbor Freight has a 400cc 8.5hp motor for around $250 that is supposedly pretty reliable. Thought about borrowing the 13hp Honda motor from my pressure washer but I'd rather not start down that road.
Just talking about shop bandsaw, bandsaw mills can go way up in horses.:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
67,334 Posts
Of course it is :jester:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey Calidecks, did you ever end up buying that long throw drill press? After this project I realized how much easier life would be with one. Wondering if you did buy it, how you're liking it.

·
Super Moderator
46,505 Posts
Hey Calidecks, did you ever end up buying that long throw drill press? After this project I realized how much easier life would be with one. Wondering if you did buy it, how you're liking it.

Nope, backed out of the thought. Ended up pre-drilling the sleeves on saw horses and drilling the wood posts in place. Worked great.

Mike.

·
Registered
848 Posts
It was only in the NA market they called them 18v+.

Hilti was late to adopt brushless in their cordless drills...I think their 12V are still brushed.
Yea I don't get why they would make the 12V brushed if trying to get into the market when every one wants brush less now.

Lets use obsolete tech. no one really wants. It just seams odd to me.

701 - 720 of 4415 Posts