Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
3821 - 3840 of 3899 Posts

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
I paid off momma's car, so I was granted permission to buy a new to me tool for around the farm. I did promise to sell my old tractor in the spring, but I also promised to sale my old work truck when I bought my new truck. That hasn't happened yet either. :)

View attachment 518336
What are you replacing?

I was on my older Massey yesterday and driving away with it thinking, "Man, I love this old thing". It is the most neglected vehicle in my fleet and never gives me any trouble" Then, when I walked back to where it was parked, there was an oil slick on the asphalt.
Dammit.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,844 Posts
What are you replacing?

I was on my older Massey yesterday and driving away with it thinking, "Man, I love this old thing". It is the most neglected vehicle in my fleet and never gives me any trouble" Then, when I walked back to where it was parked, there was an oil slick on the asphalt.
Dammit.

Early 90's case IH 695. Still a great tractor, but I just need 4 wheel drive & wanted a little newer tractor. Hopefully this is the last tractor I buy.

Hooked up my chisel plow & moved it to a different location this morning. It's actually too big for my old case, but it sure didn't feel too big for this new machine.

·
The Dude
Untangler of blue spaghetti
3,343 Posts
I paid off momma's car, so I was granted permission to buy a new to me tool for around the farm. I did promise to sell my old tractor in the spring, but I also promised to sale my old work truck when I bought my new truck. That hasn't happened yet either. :)

View attachment 518336
I don't have enough land for a real tractor yet. Not even quite enough for a compact, but I've been thinking about it anyway :D

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,844 Posts
I don't have enough land for a real tractor yet. Not even quite enough for a compact, but I've been thinking about it anyway :D
Tractors are like rail saws, ya don't know how many places you'll use one till ya own one.

The driveway up to our paint shop is pretty steep gravel. No way I could back up that hill with my old tractor. Flip the 4 wheel drive switch & just creep up the hill backwards.

We live very rural. When it snows bad, it's liable to be 2-3 days before the maintainer gets to the 2 miles of gravel roads & I have to drive to hard road. A tractor is a must to get out sometimes. The 4 wheel drive is going to be a plus there.

We subsidize our heat with firewood & the neighbor is logging this winter. Plan to put up a lot of extra firewood this winter. Cut in pole length & make a big pile to be cut up later. 4 wheel drive is going to help pull tops up the hills.

·
Registered
Unbuilder of Eyesores
1,824 Posts
Tractors are like rail saws, ya don't know how many places you'll use one till ya own one.

The driveway up to our paint shop is pretty steep gravel. No way I could back up that hill with my old tractor. Flip the 4 wheel drive switch & just creep up the hill backwards.

We live very rural. When it snows bad, it's liable to be 2-3 days before the maintainer gets to the 2 miles of gravel roads & I have to drive to hard road. A tractor is a must to get out sometimes. The 4 wheel drive is going to be a plus there.

We subsidize our heat with firewood & the neighbor is logging this winter. Plan to put up a lot of extra firewood this winter. Cut in pole length & make a big pile to be cut up later. 4 wheel drive is going to help pull tops up the hills.
Googling rail saw...

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,620 Posts
Track saw is what I think he meant.

·
The Dude
Untangler of blue spaghetti
3,343 Posts
Oh, there have been plenty of times I wish I had one, but I don't want to spend the money on one that'd be a fit for this property, the numbers just don't add up. I'm on 1 1/4 acres like most lots out here. We're zoned ag though, and have no municipal water out here. But I plan on buying at least 50 acres elsewhere, and I'll need a bigger tractor than I can practically use here.

I need something I can use ground engaging equipment, and a standard class 1 3 point, not the small "not quite" version. I need a bucket that lifts high enough to dump into a dump trailer. I want a backhoe, quick detach (skid steer style?) bucket and pallet forks. I want the extra hydraulics for the claw and whatnot. I'd rather have the claw hydraulics for the backhoe too - but the small ones don't have that option that I've seen - not a show stopper, but it'd be better.

I was looking at the Kubota BX23S, its the smallest one that you can get a backhoe with, but it's 25 - 30 grand by the time its fitted how I want, and I have no idea if the bucket lifts high enough. It's also pretty tiny. I was also looking at the JD 1025R. Theres mower decks for both, but really I don't have that much grass anyway. I guess it might come in handy for a small mowing / small task machine on a larger property, but idk. I have other things I need to spend that money on before I can really consider it. Honestly I can rent one for about 1200 for a week as little as I'd need it, I'd just have to plan around the rental which I hate having to do. I like owning gear so I can use it at will. MUCH more convenient with my schedule to just go fire it up and use it for a few hours here and there as I can get to things.

·
Super Moderator
44,714 Posts
Does that work good for deck work? Have found out my 1/4 shank surge just does not have enough for long timber screws . And have a large deck to do in the spring, thought might be a good addition.
That's our plan. Haven't had a real test of it yet. I'll keep you posted. Everything in reading says it's perfect for that.

Mike.
___

·
Eater of sins.
4,791 Posts
Pneumatic tool Drill Handheld power drill Tool Hammer drill

I just picked up one of these from Ridgid. I have the Makita 12 volt hack-all and it is fine for some really light cutting like into drywall or cutting copper pipe or something like that. And I have the Makita 18 Volt X 2 big recipe saw but the thing is a beast. It cuts faster than anything I ever had before but god damn it gets heavy quick.

So I saw this at the HD for $99.00 and picked it up.

Andy like this one.

Andy.

·
Pro
6,761 Posts
Does that work good for deck work? Have found out my 1/4 shank surge just does not have enough for long timber screws . And have a large deck to do in the spring, thought might be a good addition.
It will do you well. We drive trusslox and GRKs with it all the time for our headers, ledgers, and sill plate bolts.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Pro
6,761 Posts
3821 - 3840 of 3899 Posts