Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
3681 - 3700 of 3736 Posts

·
Registered
9,821 Posts
Ok. How would having a harness have helped him? Shoot out and then bounce back into the machine? Wouldn't that kill him just as dead?

Not being a smartypants here. Just wondered about this for a couple decades now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
From what a power company safety guy said the tether is very short like 2 feet, he never would have left the bucket. He did a laundry list of other stuff wrong also but the tether would have saved his life

·
Registered
9,821 Posts
While incidents like that are tragic indeed, I sometimes think TPTB go a little too far trying to regulate against Darwinism. Common sense says you're asking for it if you're 60' up and moving the lift over rough terrain.
This guy was 25 feet off the ground, pulling out fence posts from the bucket, electrical boom so it has a fiberglass section and is more springy, was not tied in. He was an onsite union electrician who worked for an electrical firm who kept him at this facility full time incase he was needed. He was not authorized to remove the posts, even if he was he should have done it from the ground, he just did not know he was on camera.

·
Pro
6,313 Posts
Got this unit to replace our Rolair that was stolen. The vendor, who sells both...and been doing it for decades, preferred this unit.

Better belt cage, tank, motor pressure control mechanism, and almost identical pump but with improved internal parts (might be minor)

JAIR model J113H6-P

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,972 Posts
Finally broke down after 7 years of wearing my Oxy's. They don't hold enough and are uncomfortable.

Got these for not much more than the Oxy suspenders alone.

Have a bunch of framing coming up and I wasn't going to suffer any more.

We'll see. Bags are like boots. I'm hard to please.

But they do remind me of my first real bags in the 90's. The first big MTM nylon ones, IIRC.

Loved those. I still have them in the trailer.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,707 Posts
Finally broke down after 7 years of wearing my Oxy's. They don't hold enough and are uncomfortable.

Got these for not much more than the Oxy suspenders alone.

Have a bunch of framing coming up and I wasn't going to suffer any more.

We'll see. Bags are like boots. I'm hard to please.

But they do remind me of my first real bags in the 90's. The first big MTM nylon ones, IIRC.

Loved those. I still have them in the trailer.

I ordered a set of these last week, and will pick them up tomorrow. The reviews were very good, especially in comfort.

·
Registered
12,972 Posts
Yep. They can last a long time. Had my first pair 9 years before roofing nails popped holes in them. And that was wearing them 6-7 days a week for that long.

These are supposed to have a plastic liner so that doesn't happen.

What do you poke holes in leather bags with? I've never poked a hole in my bags myself, even nylon, the belt usually gets floppy and they just wear out before that.

I'm only swapping out these because the Oxy's don't hold enough different fasteners and they dump thier entire content just about every time I set them down.

On the ground or in the truck.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,289 Posts
What do you poke holes in leather bags with?
Catspaw and chisel are the primary offenders, but I plead guilty to a tendency to jam way more stuff in the bags than I ought to, just on the off chance I can save a ladder trip.

Curious how slippery plastic liners would be. I sometimes get into some pretty kinky positions; and it's so much fun when that one tool you were getting ready to use just landed 20' below you.

·
Registered
12,972 Posts
They are say they are sewn between two layers of the heavy nylon. It should keep them from going flat, at least for a while.

Of course, that means they won't slide behind the front seats as easy.

·
GC/carpenter
44,170 Posts
Catspaw and chisel are the primary offenders, but I plead guilty to a tendency to jam way more stuff in the bags than I ought to, just on the off chance I can save a ladder trip.

Curious how slippery plastic liners would be. I sometimes get into some pretty kinky positions; and it's so much fun when that one tool you were getting ready to use just landed 20' below you.
The oxy plastic chisel insert locks it in with a bit of friction on the bottom of the insert.

Mike.
___

·
The Dude
2,756 Posts

Some of them are like a kydex holster, they lock the tool in pretty well.

Nylon bags - I've been using them for years. They do wear out. My belt right now has a leather nail bag on one side, nylon electrician bag on the other. pointy screws, sharp things, parts I'm going to be using - left side in the leather bag. Pliers, drivers, crimpers, punchdown tools, meter - all that stuff in the nylon bag. The leather electrician rigs are way too heavy / stiff for my taste and don't hold as much stuff.

·
Pro
6,313 Posts
I remember starting out wearing out nylon pouches and then smearing glue and caulk all over the frayed edges to keep them going. Whatever keeps you in the game the cheapest back then.

·
The Dude
2,756 Posts
So ... TBA huh? It's my first time here. I've been in AA (Amazon Anonymous) for months. I don't even have a 1 day chip yet. I have no self control. The lost tool thread, and my thoughts of my hammer ... well, I misplaced the old beast, and every time I look at it all I can think of is that jacka$$ rubbing it on concrete, and how I should have fed it to him every time I picked it up. It's now very old, handle worn down to a nub, 100% rust patina, and currently misplaced so I ordered another one. I'm sure the old one will turn up as soon as the new one gets here which should be later today.

·
The Dude
2,756 Posts
I remember starting out wearing out nylon pouches and then smearing glue and caulk all over the frayed edges to keep them going. Whatever keeps you in the game the cheapest back then.

Hit the frays with a propane torch. Little lick of the flame goes a long way. When they start to get holes in the bottom I replace. Takes a long time for the better ones to get that bad.

·
Pro
6,313 Posts
It was always the upper edges of the pouches. We milked those things forever. Then rerivet them, etc.

3681 - 3700 of 3736 Posts