Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

3361 - 3380 of 3513 Posts

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,916 Posts
With only a 9" blade, that's some serious overcutting to do a 16" square if the concrete has any significant depth.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,230 Posts
With only a 9" blade, that's some serious overcutting to do a 16" square if the concrete has any significant depth.
9" blade should have no over cutting. The corners only need scored and then I can fine tune it with a smaller saw.

Mike.
___

·
Super Moderator
24,651 Posts
My age takes me back before lasers. We shot everything in with a builders level or a transit. I remember the first laser my company bought. It was $10,000.00.

The good ole days!

Mike.
___
First laser i was handed i was running a shopping center job.

GC showed up, which was unusual, handed me the laser and said have fun it was only $15,000....

Still have the dumpy level i bought used in 1975 and it is still dead nuts accurate...

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,916 Posts
If a 9" blade can even penetrate a 4" slab, you're going to wind up with what, about an 8" rectangle clear-cut without overcutting? Then trying to bash that out and clean up the remnants... Sounds pretty inefficient to me.

·
Super Moderator
24,651 Posts
I think you will be woefully disappointed in the saw.

Too small and im not convinced it would have enough power.

What is the max depth cut?

9", minus the hole & arbor dont leave kuch blade left.

May be more suited for a pottery studio...

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I was thinking of getting it to cut 16"x16" squares out of concrete for footings.

Mike.
___
I have the dewalt one, I love the saw but feel that it would be underpowered for concrete

I have 6 different concrete saws so I would naturally grab a gas saw with a 14in blade or I also have a full size electric (corded) that I would use for concrete if I couldn’t use the gas one.

The battery saw would be my last choice for concrete

David

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,230 Posts
If a 9" blade can even penetrate a 4" slab, you're going to wind up with what, about an 8" rectangle clear-cut without overcutting? Then trying to bash that out and clean up the remnants... Sounds pretty inefficient to me.
Do it all the time. A 9" saw can cut 3.5" deep. Also you cut the center out where over cuts aren't an issue. Then work your way to the edges.

It beats replacing his patio that's all covered with terracotta tiles.

They will be raised footings poured a little wider than the cuts. On top will be framing that gets stucco.

Mike.
___

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Have you ever tried a cut and break saw? Twin blades. Seems weird at first, but turned out to be a game changer as far as I'm concerned. At least in situations where overcuts are a concern.

I'd recommend renting it for one job. Then you'll want your own.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3361 - 3380 of 3513 Posts