Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

3321 - 3340 of 3476 Posts

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,664 Posts
I can't remember the last time I reached for a belt sander. If it needs belt sanded, it either goes through the wide belt, or edge sander.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts
I have the small Porter Cable one as well. We’re building 46 white oak boxed treads for an open riser staircase. I used the little guy on the first test we did, and it was not up to the task of 45 more (took a long time and got really hot).

Figured it was time to get a real belt sander.
Ya the baby sander isn't really meant as a belt sander per say. Great for scribing though. It's discontinued, so don't burn it out.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts
I can't remember the last time I reached for a belt sander. If it needs belt sanded, it either goes through the wide belt, or edge sander.
Tough to tote one around in the field though. :D

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I've been trying to find a 4x24 porter cable. The older kind before they went all box store on us.
That Makita looks like it may even be a better alternative. Did you get that locally?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,019 Posts
The indents on the plate that comes with the Makita front rails eventually becomes oblong and is the reason for the inaccuracies.

Mike.
___

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts
So I bought a laser engraver. Which lead me to buy some 4" ducting and an inline fan to get rid of smoke from engraving wood. I have to build an enclosure and want/need to put some colored acrylic on it to block the laser light while being able to see what's going on. Since I'm anal and want it to look good I want to put a bend in the acrylic. Watched some youtube vids about bending and now I have to build a strip heater to heat the acrylic to bend it. Which means I need a power supply, nichrome wire and a spring.

·
Artist and not a curator
12,567 Posts
Since I can depreciate it on my taxes because of farm deductions I'm gonna post it here as a new tool.😁

View attachment 511134

Pretty nice early birthday present to myself huh?
Looks badass Randy, a Polaris can put you back in your seat too. If you don't mind me asking was it brand new and round about what did they want for it (not necessarily what you paid).

Been trying to get a local municipal one at an auction and they keep going for a heavy price tag.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,664 Posts
Looks badass Randy, a Polaris can put you back in your seat too. If you don't mind me asking was it brand new and round about what did they want for it (not necessarily what you paid).

Been trying to get a local municipal one at an auction and they keep going for a heavy price tag.
We're babying it during the break in period, so we don't know top end yet, but I've been told it should run between 65 & 70 mph. I had it up to 55 yesterday & was really surprised at how smooth & stable it was at that speed. We've had a 570 ranger for the last 5 years. It runs out at 50 mph, but it's no where near as stable as this one at high speed.

After the farm exemption rebate ($1000) & $750 rebate, $16000. That included putting the windshield & roof on it. That's for the 1000xp. Straight 1000, is around $13k msrp.

3321 - 3340 of 3476 Posts