Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

2641 - 2660 of 2694 Posts

·
Administrator
44,162 Posts
That would work. I've had many door manufacturers ask me to buy their doors and that's the first thing I ask them. Do you pin your doors in a squarer and then just take them out without the glue curing. I haven't had any of them say no. No sale. I tried some doors that were pinned by a local company and the joints cracked the paint soon after. Not only do they pin instead of clamp, they don't put glue in the shoulder, just the tenon. So there is a non glued area that is subject to movement which will crack a painted finish.

·
Pro
3,301 Posts
I guess if the rails are perfectly cut, it won't over press them out of dimensions.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,369 Posts
That would work. I've had many door manufacturers ask me to buy their doors and that's the first thing I ask them. Do you pin your doors in a squarer and then just take them out without the glue curing. I haven't had any of them say no. No sale. I tried some doors that were pinned by a local company and the joints cracked the paint soon after. Not only do they pin instead of clamp, they don't put glue in the shoulder, just the tenon. So there is a non glued area that is subject to movement which will crack a painted finish.

I also picked up the stile glue spreader. Won't be no starved joints coming out of our shop. I quit having cracked joints once I made sure to get glue on all surfaces & a little squeeze out on the face.

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,369 Posts
How does it maintain door dimensions...or do you need to account for over cutting panel slots?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I haven't had the chance to use it yet, but the way it looked in the video, you leave the stiles a little proud during assemble & as it clamps, it first pushes the stiles even with the rails then clamps the rails tight & square.

·
Administrator
44,162 Posts
I also picked up the stile glue spreader. Won't be no starved joints coming out of our shop. I quit having cracked joints once I made sure to get glue on all surfaces & a little squeeze out on the face.
I use a little acid brush to spread it out on all surfaces of the tenon and shoulder. Get a little squeeze out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Also got this 1965-ish Craftsman 1/3 sheet sander. The plastic jacket on the cord was actual brittle so it had to be replaced. Works fine now. Probably never use this either, but rescued it from going to the dump. Its on the shelf with my 10 other sanders now.

·
Contractor
6,896 Posts
Rescued this cordless variable speed reversible drill from a dark cluttered corner of my sis-in-laws garage. Her hubby owned a furniture repair and upholstery business for many years. I’ll probably never use it, but at least it has a home.
Hey, I've got one of those.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,369 Posts
I use a little acid brush to spread it out on all surfaces of the tenon and shoulder. Get a little squeeze out.
I do too, but shouldn't need to going forward. Here's the glue spreader. Cut your profile on the plastic block & it applies it to both stiles at the same time. https://www.jamesltaylor.com/product/stile-spreader-guile-applicator-160b/
I've spent a bunch of money trying to speed up the process. We've been building about 100 doors a month lately. Truth be told, trying to get it where my wife can do the door glue ups while I'm doing more involved projects.

2641 - 2660 of 2694 Posts