Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Remodel
34,750 Posts
Who draws on paper anymore and they take up too much room
I also used them back in the 70s
I'll still hand draw. I still have a portable drafting table. From there, It's CAD.

Hand drawing forces you to think things through before you start, or you'll waste a huge amount of time.

·
Registered
Remodel
34,750 Posts
Awesome!

I used to see bandsaws made out of washer and bicycle parts. Old carpenters that still used only handsaws and hammers on site. They'd build a table saw and bandsaw with wood and free parts.

These days, I think the variable speed treadmills would be a better motor and controller donor.

·
Registered
Remodel
34,750 Posts
Realistically it needs a gas motor, I doubt this motor or any electric motor that isn't 3 phase would be sufficient. From what I've gathered this size mill needs at least 8hp to effectively cut through 20-24" diameter hardwood logs. Harbor Freight has a 400cc 8.5hp motor for around $250 that is supposedly pretty reliable. Thought about borrowing the 13hp Honda motor from my pressure washer but I'd rather not start down that road.
Just talking about shop bandsaw, bandsaw mills can go way up in horses.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Remodel
34,750 Posts
Got tired of the old bernzomatic torch, so I bought a BLUEFIRE HZ-8388B. Hose torch propane/MAPP. Bought a hose adapter for a 20lb propane tank, so now I have 8 ft of hose to work with. Works well so far, I'll be seeing what I can do with it over the next couple days

·
Registered
Remodel
34,750 Posts
Pushing the button prior to the trigger took about 5 seconds to get used to.

Although it is likely considered some sort of safety to the user, seems to me its best most practical use us to keep the saw from turning on accidently...

Like when its in a tool box or being banged around on site.
Ripping a 4X8 sheet lengthwise I can't always stay behind the saw, a lot of times I wind up alongside it. I wind up pushing the button with my thumb, so that makes controlling the saw even worse , I don't actually have a full grip on the saw and I'm doing an awkward cut.

I do it, but I don't like it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts