Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

TBA Meeting 2 (Tool Buyers Anonymous)

368K views 5K replies 141 participants last post by  Justin Rhoades 
I bought this dust shroud for my M18 Milwaukee grinder a couple of weeks ago. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Seems to be pretty sturdy.

27 bucks.

I have that shroud. It's not bad. Easy to install. The dust extraction hose adapter isn't the nicest...falls off easy. Also a little trial and error to get it flat to the surface you are grinding and keep it flat while using it. It does do a decent job containing the dust.

Makita 5" dry cut saw with track adapter. With a mesh blade for porcelain it cuts great. Have another job where the porcelain tiles are massive! Makita did alright with the adapter. It has adjustability to get the cut line zero in with the track edge. Slight fail on the dust port because it needs an adapter to fit my Festool hose.

I'm working on a job where the tile guys are setting 10'x5' porcelain tiles. They are cutting them with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWqlnUoIixo
Most of those LFT gauged porcelain tile are 6mm thick and are meant to be snapped like that. The tiles I just set and the ones coming up are 7/16" thick. That Montolit snapper says it is rated up to 3/8". That is why I went for the Makita setup. Actually did a test run with my TS55 first. It worked well but was slow. The rpm of the Makita is 12,000 which matches the blade better. It is noticeably faster than my test cuts using the TS55.

Yeah, I got a question about the latest Makita crack you are hitting there. Can it plunge cut while on the track? I know you can probably raise the heel off the track and plunge it in, but I want a little more control, more like a Festool track saw. Often I use my wet saw to plunge cut sharp corners on the top, then a P4 blade on a grinder to cut the backside so it leaves a super clean top cut, for places like around a closet post, where it will be caulked.

Starting with dry porcelain not only saves time, but setup and cleaning a wet saw is time consuming. Plus wet saws are messy, or at least mine is.

Heck being able to cut dry on an MFT table sounds pretty appealing. Hmm... How much dust escapes? I watched a video and it sent a pretty good amount of dust backwards interestingly enough, but that was on a masonry cut.
It does not plunge like a regular track saw. Dust collection is decent but also not as good as a regular track saw. I will take a video of it making a cut in the next day or so.

First impressions of the tracks are good. Eyed them over and they look flat and straight, put them back to back and there was no gap. I'll go over them in more detail this week. Anything in particular you guys want to know?

-Rich
Are the connectors like Festools with a screw that tightens against to rail or like Makitas where the screw separates 2 pieces of metal to tighten inside the groove?

Wanted a delta head sander. Decided to go cordless because ToolNut had this kit marked down because it doesn't have the newer Bluetooth batteries. Didn't know it would come with the drawer on the systainer. That is nice for storage of the AC adapter and the abrasives.

Thinking this will be nice for drywall touchups as well. With the bag and Granat Net it has really good dust collection when I tried it initially.

Oh ,, that's nice. Do you screw down all of your subfloors?
Yep. We do it right away. Only use 8 penny nails to tack. We have done it this way for as long as we have been in business. Used a Senco gun for years. Just got the PamFast by Fastenmaster. I was a little hesitant because of their proprietary screws and bits but they do not strip or break so I think it is worth it. We have 3100 square ft of Advantech to install next month so this setup will get a workout.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk