Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I know my man card may be in doubt now, but I was baking something and didn't have a mixer. Wow, now it is no longer in doubt. I think I lost it.

At least it is Black and Decker

I know, that doesn't help much.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Way I look at it, baking and cooking is just another excuse to buy more tools.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I've had my little Oreck vacuum for the truck for a while now. And it's not bad, always wished it had a little more suction. Use it for cleaning up floors, the insides of cabinets and on my belt sander when I am scribing cabinets. The bag is pretty small but then again, so isn't the vacuum. I figure it has about 65 CFM. Works great on floors but doesn't have much pull in cabinets, you have to be right on the dust. Works well enough for the belt sander.

Made a small box for it in the truck and it fits in snug and doesn't take up much room which was the number 1 reason for the choice.

I've kept an eye out for small vacuums and came across the Metro line for car detailers. Just a bit bigger than my Oreck and much more powerful. 130CFM which is about what the Festool vac pull. Plus 95 inch of water so it can keep going when the bag gets near full.

Came with a bunch of tools, more than I've shown here. Has a little 4 wheeled dolly that I likely won't be using mostly to keep it compact. Since my Oreck tools work with the Metro and I have them fit to the truck setup I'll be using the Oreck tools. The wand is retractable and the floor tool has more metal in it.

I had to make a new box because it's taller by 2" and the hose ports stick out instead of in. Took about an hour to make/modify and it all fits nice. Best thing is I still get to keep my Milwaukee Rocket Light in that compartment of the truck. I was a bit worried because it was already a tight fit.

So we'll see how this one works out. The vacuum is all metal and made in the US. Cost about $280 which is about $200 more than the Oreck. It's pretty quiet, not as quiet as my Fein, but way more quiet than my Ridgid. Not sure you could use it on a tablesaw only because the bag is small. Same with a chopsaw, but that would be more feasible.
At 3 Bill's I'd be looking at the M18 backpack vac. But then again, I'm really into cordless.
I just spent way too much time hunting for accessible outlets in a house that doesn't seem to have them every 12 ft. So the ones it did have were behind furniture and/or had so much other crap plugged into it I was scared to mess with it for fear of disrupting all of the Amazon devices.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Souped up my vacuum :laughing:

Put a K&N filter on it along with a 50' cord. Musta added 10 HP :whistling

Ya, you're all asking why, aren't you.

Air in equals air out. 130 CFM in is 130 CFM out. A pretty powerful stream of air comes out the opposite side of the vacuum when it's operating. Blows the dust around, the dust I'm trying to collect. Looked for a filter with 1 1/4" opening and this fit the ticket. It doesn't restrict air flow that much, maybe a couple 10ths of a percent, if that. And the stream of air is dissipated extremely well.
You should paint it red while you're at it. Make it suck even faster that way.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Who draws on paper anymore and they take up too much room
I also used them back in the 70s
It's satisfying to draw on paper because you actually have to think about things before you commit.
I enjoy the process.

Hand drawings also have a certain beautiful quality that is difficult to describe.
It cannot be replicated on a screen.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Picked up another radial arm saw. 30 bucks cause its 3 phase.

If nothing else I gotta lietz blade.

Not sure when this was made, but it's pretty cheesy compared to my 40s vintage RAS.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Has to be post ‘45, has the Rockwell name on it.

Tom
It's throwing off a 70s vibe to me. Not a model or serial # anywhere to be found. But most of the 60s stuff was beefier, and the 80s seemed to have more plastic.

This does say made in USA on the motor though.

Just wish I could find a similar model pictured on OWWM or something.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I keep a handful of these scattered around tool box, shop, and trailer.

Any good finds for pencil sharpeners that won't break the lead? How about ones capable of both round/flat.

So many renovation jobs I've come across the old hand crank pencil sharpeners in somebody's basement or attic and I kept one I keep in the garage it's awesome to this day.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 148 Posts