Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 393 Posts

·
Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
65,467 Posts
I know my man card may be in doubt now, but I was baking something and didn't have a mixer. Wow, now it is no longer in doubt. I think I lost it.

At least it is Black and Decker

I know, that doesn't help much.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Nothing wrong with a man who can feed himself and make cookies for the other contractors!!

I'd like peanut butter cookies please.:whistling

·
Administrator
65,467 Posts
We should rename this the Tool Whore thread.:laughing:

·
Administrator
65,467 Posts
That's becoming a sin these days :laughing:

·
Administrator
65,467 Posts
Because Snobnd made me.

·
Administrator
65,467 Posts
I'm a bit worried about the single strap. Have to balance things.

·
Administrator
65,467 Posts
Good deal. But I don't like that style. I guess it's the wider tape. I like the Stanley's. I don't even know if they make them anymore.

·
Administrator
65,467 Posts
Looked them up. Still make a 30 and a 35. The 30 is good enough for what I do. Not many rooms are longer than that. And on rare occasion I use it outside.

·
Administrator
65,467 Posts
I've had my little Oreck vacuum for the truck for a while now. And it's not bad, always wished it had a little more suction. Use it for cleaning up floors, the insides of cabinets and on my belt sander when I am scribing cabinets. The bag is pretty small but then again, so isn't the vacuum. I figure it has about 65 CFM. Works great on floors but doesn't have much pull in cabinets, you have to be right on the dust. Works well enough for the belt sander.

Made a small box for it in the truck and it fits in snug and doesn't take up much room which was the number 1 reason for the choice.

I've kept an eye out for small vacuums and came across the Metro line for car detailers. Just a bit bigger than my Oreck and much more powerful. 130CFM which is about what the Festool vac pull. Plus 95 inch of water so it can keep going when the bag gets near full.

Came with a bunch of tools, more than I've shown here. Has a little 4 wheeled dolly that I likely won't be using mostly to keep it compact. Since my Oreck tools work with the Metro and I have them fit to the truck setup I'll be using the Oreck tools. The wand is retractable and the floor tool has more metal in it.

I had to make a new box because it's taller by 2" and the hose ports stick out instead of in. Took about an hour to make/modify and it all fits nice. Best thing is I still get to keep my Milwaukee Rocket Light in that compartment of the truck. I was a bit worried because it was already a tight fit.

So we'll see how this one works out. The vacuum is all metal and made in the US. Cost about $280 which is about $200 more than the Oreck. It's pretty quiet, not as quiet as my Fein, but way more quiet than my Ridgid. Not sure you could use it on a tablesaw only because the bag is small. Same with a chopsaw, but that would be more feasible.

·
Administrator
65,467 Posts
It's too big. I need something that is always in the truck. Plus 55 CFM and 75 inch of water lift for the Milwaukee.

·
Administrator
65,467 Posts
Sooooo! My lumberyard will have a sale on Thursday. The Makita cordless 36 v saw, 4 - 5.0amh batteries a double charger

Should I get it? Too good to turn down?

Mike.

Go for it.

·
Administrator
65,467 Posts
One who wants to make money?

·
Administrator
65,467 Posts
The only things I've found about the Packouts that could be improved upon are the wheels. The boxes sit in my truck, loaded up. The wheels will get a small D in them and you can feel it when you roll them across a hard floor. Still rolls fine, I think they could make them so they don't compress.

And when you are going up or down stairs with them the box will rub the nosing if your not careful. My old FatMax boxes didn't do this. I think they tried to keep the footprint of the Packout down to a minimum and this is one of the results. Other than that they seem great.

·
Administrator
65,467 Posts
Should be getting a 5Ah Milwaukee battery in the mail today. Ordered the 118" Makita Track. They say it'll work on the Festool stuff. Great price, $219 with $25 off ($194) but you have to pay for shipping an oversized item which just so happens to be $25. So free shipping!! All the other places send it by truck and it costs more to ship it than the track costs by itself.

And a 50' vacuum electrical cord. I bought that new Metro Vacuum and it only has a 12' cord. Thought I could deal with it but hell no. Already yanked it out of the outlet a dozen times, use to my Oreck with the 30' cord. So not sure what I'll do with the cord. Keep it at 50' or cut it to 35'. Also depends on how it winds up on the vacuum. Might be 34' 4 1/2" :laughing:

·
Administrator
65,467 Posts

·
Administrator
65,467 Posts
They are pretty close to me. But the shipment of the track is coming from the manufacturer. Who the hell knows, might come directly from China.

·
Administrator
65,467 Posts
I'll tell ya if I remember you asked when it comes.

·
Administrator
65,467 Posts
118" Makita track came in. Delivered by FedEx freight. Came in a MDF box, 5/16" MDF top and bottom with 3/4" plywood separating them. Box had some damage but nothing to the track.

The saw fits the track but it's loose. The Festool guide is 16.0mm wide while the Makita is 15.7mm wide. I put two layers of 3M 401+ tape on it and now it reads 15.95mm so it's all good. Not sure if the tape will last, but I'm gonna give it a shot. And the tape is close to Festool green :laughing:

·
Administrator
65,467 Posts
I have some of that kicking around. But it's 3" wide and expensive. If I could find some of that in a 3/4" or less that would be the ticket as long as it didn't' exceed the thickness.

Good call!

·
Administrator
65,467 Posts
Yes, but all I want to do is pick up the saw and place it on the track. It's adjusted for my Festool track. I may just by another Makita 55" and put the Festool in storage so I can swap between tracks without the need for the tape.

·
Administrator
65,467 Posts
Won't know til I need to use it.

1 - 20 of 393 Posts