Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I'm newly in business for myself and I have a possibly stupid tax question. I am a sole proprietor and I know I have to pay all the taxes on the income I personally receive from my business(about 20%).

Do I also have to pay taxes on my operating expenses(i.e. indirect job costs/overhead, etc.) and if so about how much? I will obviously be reducing the amount that I would need to pay taxes on by whatever amount I am able to deduct but its not a dollar for dollar deduction. Is there a rule of thumb percentage on just my operating costs I can start using now until I can see how things are going?

What about paying taxes on my profit?

Can anybody help me?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Geez, it's been so long since I was a sole proprieter that I hope I have it right, but you should be paying taxes only on profits. If you spend a dollar on a legitimate expense you deduct that dollar from your income. Then you pay taxes based on your profits which become your personal income. Profits = business income - expenses.

When you say it is not a dollar per dollar deduction are you referring to percentages that the IRS allows such as 50% for meals and entertainment? It still just becomes income minus expenses. 10,000 income minus (300.00 in meals * 50% = 150.00) = 9850.00 in profit.

No matter what you do, I would suggest you incorporate as soon as possible. Nobody should ever be a sole proprietorship in my opinion. There is no protection of your personal assets.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
dog, welcome!
Line up an accountant, CPA. Getting started, they will give you a check list of everything that you will need to save and record.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts