Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess he got sick of just doing the caulking and filling :D I use a jigsaw, and some files - so by the 3rd one, wow- its pretty good! sheesh! took me... well a heck of a lot longer LOL
by the end of the day he was keeping me hopping, guess I'll be the one doing the caulking now!
He's not interested in construction, he want's to go to college to learn video editing - probably a smarter move than workin with his old man.
Sure felt good though, reminded me of when I was a kid, my dad showing me stuff :)
and ya, I'm payin him $100 a day. I know its a bit high, but heck he's family!

Laurie

www.lauriescustomfinishing.ca

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
That's gotta give ya a bit if a peacock chest!:thumbsup:

Good for you. Parents passing along knowledge is as rewarding as the kids absorbing it!:thumbup:

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pics? ok, I'll take a camera in today.

Next is he wants to learn how to drive! :eek: when I learned, it wasn't so bad, as there were lots of old logging roads to practice on - and my dad's lumber yard (fork lifts)

but we live in the city! more potential for bumper car excitment LOL

The collins coping foot doesn't work on a bosch! darn. gotta go- breakfast.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Its a good fealing to pass on knowledge to your boy, but its a great feeling when you see that he has learned from it. The more he learns now the more likely he is to succeed in life regardless of what career path he leads, at least he will have a trade to fall back on.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Nothing better then watching your kids advance. Better yet, when they exceed what you can do. Thanks for the post, you just made my day.:thumbsup:

Quick question: Who will earn $100 a day now, that you are the helper?:whistling

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I guess he got sick of just doing the caulking and filling :D I use a jigsaw, and some files - so by the 3rd one, wow- its pretty good! sheesh! took me... well a heck of a lot longer LOL
by the end of the day he was keeping me hopping, guess I'll be the one doing the caulking now!
He's not interested in construction, he want's to go to college to learn video editing - probably a smarter move than workin with his old man.
Sure felt good though, reminded me of when I was a kid, my dad showing me stuff :)
and ya, I'm payin him $100 a day. I know its a bit high, but heck he's family!

Laurie

www.lauriescustomfinishing.ca
So what you are saying is, in the near future, he won't have to cope with you or your slave wages....:clap:

·
The Old Master
92 Posts
Yes, pictures. :thumbup:
Do you use a coping foot on your jigsaw, or one you've modified?

I never heard of a coping foot. Looked it up on Google, Collins coping foot. I take it that you use the saw on the back side -- correct?

Also what is the consenus on here. Do you cut crown Flat like on a DeWalt Compound saw.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/articles/article.asp?Site=woodworking&ID=2

Neighbor just had crown installed they used fingerjointed popular. Per the contractor a lot cheaper than pine. It will be painted. PS He did cut flat but did not use a foot --- used coping saw. I like to watch, after the angle cut was made he would take the side of a carpenter pencil and with a quick flick of his wrist he had a beautiful scribe mark to follow.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,719 Posts
I never heard of a coping foot. Looked it up on Google, Collins coping foot. I take it that you use the saw on the back side -- correct?

Also what is the consenus on here. Do you cut crown Flat like on a DeWalt Compound saw.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/articles/article.asp?Site=woodworking&ID=2

Neighbor just had crown installed they used fingerjointed popular. Per the contractor a lot cheaper than pine. It will be painted. PS He did cut flat but did not use a foot --- used coping saw. I like to watch, after the angle cut was made he would take the side of a carpenter pencil and with a quick flick of his wrist he had a beautiful scribe mark to follow.
I've never been a fan of coping with a jigsaw, but I know a lot of guys like to. I prefer a coping saw but admit using a jigsaw is much faster--especially when working a hardwood with a fine tooth blade.

Unless you're cutting crown for a sloped ceiling or an angled rake outside, it's faster to cut it angled on the fence--unless your crown is massive and you're cutting on a slider.

·
Registered
ornamental plasterer
1,432 Posts
pics? ok, I'll take a camera in today.

Next is he wants to learn how to drive! :eek: when I learned, it wasn't so bad, as there were lots of old logging roads to practice on - and my dad's lumber yard (fork lifts)

but we live in the city! more potential for bumper car excitment LOL

The collins coping foot doesn't work on a bosch! darn. gotta go- breakfast.
For start-up drivers in the city is good to use mall plaza early mornings. There are marks, signs and a lot of space.

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
i got a question abot coping crown, maybe it cant be answered, im new to finish work. i did some crown for my friend coped every piece but every single one of my corcners i could get the two pieces of crown to get flush my seams fit like a glove but on the bottoms one piece was always like a 16th lower, no matter how hard i tried, soon as i fit them in to get the corner perfect one woruld drop on me. just by a C-hair but it bothered the hell out of me. and copeing more off didnt do it either.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:notworthy in awe bass.. in awe.

To the OP.. you trying to beat $2.97/ft :whistling

it is always good to teach the kids how to do things. I was welding by age 16.
I bid $4.30/ft caulked and filled, 136' unfortunately it was all 8 footers, as it had to come up via the elevator to the 3rd floor. If it was a HO I'd a bid 4.50 ft no filing/caulking. This was a GC that was trying me out, and he know's the market locally! we negotiated via text for about 3 hours before he bit- and (I am now hiding around the corner) it was from an ad I put on CL ...
ahem :D don't hit me!!!! LOL

pics following:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts