Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Nepster
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys feel about tattoos? Do you think that they have a negative impact on your business. I like tattoos but I am concerned with what kind image that portrays to my customers. You can't see my tattoos, but my partner has one on his lower leg. He usually wears pants whenever we meet with a new client.

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
It depends on what the tattoo is of. I have three right bicep and both forearms, but they are just tribal, most of my customers ask what they mean, then they laugh because I say, dunno, I got them because they looked cool.:laughing:

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
I am sleaved out on my left arm almost sleaved on the right, big one on my back. My best friend does tattoos professionally so I kinda always had access to free ink, the only one I regret is the one I had with my ex's name in it, it has since been covered.
I have never really had a customer say anything bad about it, I have had a few who want to check them out, ask where I got them, show me theirs. I dont have any jailhouse looking crap so I think that does make a difference. I know a guy who had his whole hand and arm tattoed into a checkerboard pattern in jail, I think that might be looked down on a little by people.

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
sorry guys, but the gen pop (our clients) don't like 'em, you can talk all day long about how great whatever guy with the ink is.....but mr and mrs homeowner won't like it...

anyone wanting to dispute that will cite specific cases stating the opposite, but there's no doubt...h/o's don't wanna see the shiite in their homes...:no:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Opinions of tattoos will always vary as much as the tattoos themselves.

How they impact your business/image will depend on what and where they are, and mainly who you are working for or want to be working for.

If you had to put numbers to it.
Do you think you would get hired because of the tattoos, more than you would without them

·
I like Green things
23,074 Posts
Opinions of tattoos will always vary as much as the tattoos themselves.

How they impact your business/image will depend on what and where they are, and mainly who you are working for or want to be working for.

If you had to put numbers to it.
Do you think you would get hired because of the tattoos, more than you would without them

My Dali sleeve usually sparks a conversation, I had one customer that I am sure hired me because of my Dali work. He gave me an orginal Dali etching as a bonus.

I have never been looked down upon because of my art work.

·
Nepster
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like the look of really clean cut appearance and a 3/4 sleeve (tasteful of course) on your arm or leg. I have had customers that have commented on that fact that I don't have any tattoos (that they can see) and say that like that about me. They were usually in their 40's or older.

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
I have had smart ass painting contractors say " I wouldnt hire you with those tattoos", yet the same guys have no problem hiring a bunch of illegals dressed like hobo cowboys and speaking only spanish, or fat smelly guys with their ass crack hanging out. When it comes to what I do, I am excellent, if you want poor quality work without tattoos I can refer ya to somebody.

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
ya see...the guys with visible ink aren't answering the original question...:whistling

I don't care how "great" you are, how much a philanthropist you are, or even if you're mutherfvkin stephen hawkins with a little bit of mother theresa thrown in...it's about first impressions...and most ho's don't wanna see guys with ink...I'm not saying it's right, but it's a fact

·
I like Green things
23,074 Posts
My Dali sleeve usually sparks a conversation, I had one customer that I am sure hired me because of my Dali work. He gave me an orginal Dali etching as a bonus.

I have never been looked down upon because of my art work.
ya see...the guys with visible ink aren't answering the original question...:whistling

I don't care how "great" you are, how much a philanthropist you are, or even if you're mutherfvkin stephen hawkins with a little bit of mother theresa thrown in...it's about first impressions...and most ho's don't wanna see guys with ink...I'm not saying it's right, but it's a fact

Can you read? I work in people's homes that are 25-80, not one negative thing has ever been said. I happen to be a pretty talented guy with good taste in art.

I never try to hide them, its who I am and if you dont like get fu*ked.

·
I like Green things
23,074 Posts
I have had smart ass painting contractors say " I wouldnt hire you with those tattoos", yet the same guys have no problem hiring a bunch of illegals dressed like hobo cowboys and speaking only spanish, or fat smelly guys with their ass crack hanging out. When it comes to what I do, I am excellent, if you want poor quality work without tattoos I can refer ya to somebody.

Exactley!!:thumbsup:

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
Can you read? I work in people's homes that are 25-80, not one negative thing has ever been said. I happen to be a pretty talented guy with good taste in art.

I never try to hid them, its who I am and if you dont like get fu*ked.

wow, ya' kiss ya' momma with that mouth? :w00t:

·
Certified Remodeler
3,207 Posts
You know I heard the Tattoo thing and how it turns some people off. I think its a small group who don't get it.
There is a real nice guy in Mpls "Mohawk Construction", started out with a green mohawk, met him at a contractor class. He is doing very well and he looks like one of the Clash.
I can cover mine by wearing a long sleeve shirt, I have no neck or face tats, but years ago I had an earing, in 1967. That used to be a no no when I would pick up a date.
Finally one girls father asked me if I was gay? I said "kiss me and find out". He never asked me again.

·
Banned
846 Posts
I can't think of anything I'd want on my body until I die. Hell I change the color in the living room annualy.

That being said I don't think it necessarily hurts. We're contractors, not doctors, lawyers, professors, etc. Folks expect us to be a little rough around the edges.

When I meet a new client for the first time I don't put on a suit and dress up. I wear jeans, boots, a nice plaid Carhartt shirt and a presentation jacket from Duluth Trading. It projects a professional image without being over the top. I look like a landscaping professional.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.