Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have, up until now, been very busy with blasting just cars. It has slowed down a bit as it does each fall. I am wondering what other markets you guys go after and do well with. We sodablast and sandblast in our shop with a large blast room and also have a mobile rig. We just did our first soot/smoke removal job and it went well, so we are definitely going to go after more of those.
Any other suggestions? I know this is apretty general topic but once in a while I hear of a great idea on here and think there must be a lot more out there. We also do any of the blasting for boat bottom paint removal in our area. I figure this discussion can help others on here too. :thumbsup:

·
Master Blaster!
188 Posts
local steel makers and fab companies. plants that produce steel goods often times need blasting to clean parts that went through their paint system with errors.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
I have a fabrication company that found me and brings me many different items to clean before they powder coat them. It is a couple hundred at a time usually. A bit repetitive but steady pay. I will post pictures of some of the parts I do for them when I get back to the shop this week.

Blastoff, was that smoke damage insurance work or private. I am looking in to getting some of that work around here. Did you use about what you thought you would or would you charge more another time.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
We go after a lot of things. Boats, Cars, fab co., powdercoating shops, fire damage, small parts from local hobbie shops, school departments (buses, snow equipment and grafitti)

I just started going after construction co. (and town equipment) dump trucks and equipment.

I have a Q: I was asked if I could strip a musical insterment. like a brass horn or saxaphone???

They usally dip them in a acid or something, then re-dipped for the coating. I hear that it is really exspensive to have done ????

this guy I house paint with, wants it stripped and powder coated. has to be stripped, if there is to much paint it will make sound funny.

thought this might be another market

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
I played trombone growing up, the brass instruments are good gage metel.
soda would be the way.

I told him that the valves and pads would not last and would have to be replaced. I may ( for the Go Green show) do my old bone just to see.
but if it didn't work, I'd be out $1500.

Growing up I used to see stripped instruments and wondered how they did that.

it was before powder coating, and they would just claer coat it just enough so it would not tarnish.

Now with all the translusent powder coat colors maybe it would pick up some interest ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would also hit any plastic plants. We have a couple of these new bio degradable plastic plants in my area. The management are real bean counters, but they do supply me with work from time to time. I clean the extruders, or let me say I have twice and only when they kept them running a lot longer than they should. I tried to offer them a deal for steady work, but as of now it’s a no go. I would not be surprised to see them buy a blaster of their own before long.

Myself I love the fire side of soda blasting good money. I do work for a transmission shop and it is easy work. I want to go to a school in Florida that certifies for mold, asbestos, and lead removal. I have a long history in hazmat so its right up my ally.

·
Rick
86 Posts
I can weigh in here on this one

The sax can be blasted with soda, it will take the lacquer off, Most horns are made of brass, they polish it to a high finish at the factory and spray it with clear lacquer, that's what causes it to stay shiny.

If you get an old horn where the laquer is worn in places the brass will turn dark because its unprotected. see

I said all that to say this, You can blast it but you will screw up the pads unless they take all the rods and cups off. A repad will run 300 or 400 bucks done right.

I wouldnt touch it with a 10ft pole unless they signed a waiver holding you harmless. If the tone holes are out of level when you are done it wont play in tune and they will blame you. That repair is 600-700.

A lot of people are wanting their horns to be new and look old, so if you remove the lacquer you get that effect.

Had to show it off My 1946 Conn 10m Yeah!
Most of the lacquer is gone

Attachments

·
Banned
574 Posts
panderson

I have two good side jobs this time of year. We blow the water out of lines on golf courses so they dont freeze. Then I travel around an blow off combines after harvest. 125-250 a pop. On golf courses I charge blast price 175 an hour. On combines I do it by the job, The bigger the farm the more I charge. Example a combine that can run a thirty foot bean head is two fiffty. A 7700 John Deere cost less. After the weather got cold I went into commercial painting for the first time in my life, I have knocked out three jobs so far. The work is easy but more detailed than industial work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts