Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tar and Chip? Sounds Delicious!

Hi guys I realize that this might not be the perfect part of the forum for this...but you guys I know and the rest of 'em might just be creeps.

I have a customer from Virginia that wants a variety of work done, but the thing I have a question about is a pea gravel drive she wants installed. According to her it is a common practice in Virginia to put down a substantial compacted subase and then on this base a layer of tar is applied. The pea gravel is then applied to the tar which holds it all together and keeps it from spreading too much. Are any of you familiar with this process and if so could you give me guidance? The subbase and compaction is no problem, but most of my questions revolve around the tar and what kind and how etc. Oh yeah this drive will be surrounded by firebrick that she already has and set on concrete footer that I will pour and then mortared in....

Thanks,

·
Starving Tile Artist
1,216 Posts
Hi guys I realize that this might not be the perfect part of the forum for this...but you guys I know and the rest of 'em might just be creeps.

I have a customer from Virginia that wants a variety of work done, but the thing I have a question about is a pea gravel drive she wants installed. According to her it is a common practice in Virginia to put down a substantial compacted subase and then on this base a layer of tar is applied. The pea gravel is then applied to the tar which holds it all together and keeps it from spreading too much. Are any of you familiar with this process and if so could you give me guidance? The subbase and compaction is no problem, but most of my questions revolve around the tar and what kind and how etc. Oh yeah this drive will be surrounded by firebrick that she already has and set on concrete footer that I will pour and then mortared in....

Thanks,
Tim, REA does this process on the river roads in Orangeburg County. You may be able to call them and get the info you need for this area. Columbia lab phone number is 803-791-0367

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys,

I will review the info later this evening. I'm sure i'll have some questions.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
It's a high end driveway here in CT. Called "Oil penetration" or "Stone penetration" Can't remember the proper name. Paving co.s will prep a few of these driveways and then hire a special truck with burners and HOT oil. The specialty company will then just spread the oil and head for the next driveway while the paving crew spreads the stone over it and rolls it in.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok a bit thank you to everyone. I am going hire a guy to spray the emulsified asphalt for me and tackle this job myself, it's not to complicated thats fer sure. I will post some pics!!!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
KJKarl -

Is that a product/procedure that may have been supported by the old Tilcon Tomasso?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts