Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I worked in an apartment recently where all the 10 ft ceilings were lowered to 8ft. They framed down a 2x4 sub/ceiling and rocked it.

Was there a few weeks ago & returned today. They knocked out three or four room with a full 3 coats in one day. It looked great. As I looked closer I could see the color of the walls neatly cut in. It didnt look fresh. Now I wasnt there when they did this but it looks like they didnt tape the inside joint. Is that something some of you tapers do? Maybe flat tape the butt. I started thinking maybe they used a tear away around the room then put a small bead of caulk prior to priming the ceiling but I couldnt tell.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
641 Posts
I worked in an apartment recently where all the 10 ft ceilings were lowered to 8ft. They framed down a 2x4 sub/ceiling and rocked it.

Was there a few weeks ago & returned today. They knocked out three or four room with a full 3 coats in one day. It looked great. As I looked closer I could see the color of the walls neatly cut in. It didnt look fresh. Now I wasnt there when they did this but it looks like they didnt tape the inside joint. Is that something some of you tapers do? Maybe flat tape the butt. I started thinking maybe they used a tear away around the room then put a small bead of caulk prior to priming the ceiling but I couldnt tell.

Thoughts?
they should just put trim around the top if they were just going to calk it ...I think with out seeing any pic they used mesh with e z sand and just flat taped it

·
Registered
117 Posts
Have seen ceilings redone where the internal angles around the border of the ceiling were flat taped(flat against the ceiling, no caulk) in order to not get mud / have to worry about redoing every wall as well.

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I would have thought the trim would be best but I don't think the caulk is a terrible idea. I could see flat tapping as a future line coming through.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Yup. Flat taped and caulked.

With perimeter framing tied in to adjoining walls and board is screwed 6" oc That is a tight locked system I use.

Corner studs must be tied/locked in for this to work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts