Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Remodeler
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody use anything smaller than a 25' tape measurer? Iam thinking about going to a 16' . I dont see many using a 6' wooden rule. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
The hardest thing I find with the shorter ones is they're small for my hand and they break not too far out, so even when I don't need them, I use 25' and more.

·
Remodeler
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The hardest thing I find with the shorter ones is they're small for my hand and they break not too far out, so even when I don't need them, I use 25' and more.
I agree, but I think Stanley makes a 16' that has a 1'' blade

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Framing, large layout, general exterior I'll use a 25-30' Tape.

Finish Carp, Cabinetry, Interior 16' Stanley. Especially for hanging rock, the small tang fits the stanley knife perfect.

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
I use a 30' Fat Max for everything.

I keep a 16' Fat Max that I got free somewhere in the truck. It's a decent backup and good for when I show up to bid a job and realize I left my real tape in my bags back at the job.

·
Registered
358 Posts
At one point I had bought five of those Fatmax double packs. So like others have said I use a 16' for interiors and finish carpentry and 25'-ers for exterior work.

Seems like I have broken a lot of 25's doing stupid stuff... like dropping one on a roof - three stories up. Those things really take flight when they hit the lip of the gutter... must have pitched it 35 feet outward... right in the middle of the street.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I like using a folding wooden ruler with the 6" brass extension piece when trimming out a pantry for inside measurements.

Reactions: CarpenterSFO

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,802 Posts
I've got 25' stanley leverlocks laying everywhere, don't buy anything else. They're kinda like reading glasses, got at least a dozen pair of them laying around too. :)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I use my wooden fold up for shop work , different measurement devices for different tasks . Nothing like a broken in woody :eek:

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I agree, but I think Stanley makes a 16' that has a 1'' blade
OK, you're blowing my system. I've got a tape in the bags I'm wearing, in the set of bags at home, in the glove boxes of both trucks, probably also underneath a seat in one of them, in a tool bucket, inside the house in a drawer where I throw my keys, and I'm sure one in the garage.

So they all need to be the same..... ;)

·
Remodeler
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've got 25' stanley leverlocks laying everywhere, don't buy anything else. They're kinda like reading glasses, got at least a dozen pair of them laying around too. :)
You're the only person I ever heard that likes the leverlocks. I never could get comfortable with them.

·
Pro or somethin'...
612 Posts
I prefer the FatMax Extreme 25'. I find the 30 and 40s too big for my hands. The 25 is a little clumsy for trim work tho...

·
Always Learning
8,746 Posts
Fat max 16' for trim. Fat max 25'-30' for everything else. Dont mind Komelon tapes either.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts