Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up a one-piece vinyl floor from H.D. today that a customer picked out for their Kitchen. I guess I haven't done a vinyl floor in a while, this one claims it doesn't need glue (not even perimeter glue). Maybe I'm gettin' too old fashioned with my jeans that go to my waist, and a T-shirt that doesn't reach my knees :rolleyes: All it requires is a double-sided tape on the perimeters (Glas-Tac? I think it was called). Anyway, they of course didn't even carry the tape (after bragging about the 'ease' of installation). Go figure. Anyway, I'm a little leary of installing a floor without glue, I'd be worried about future 'appliance-movement' tears or the like. Anyone know if it 'hurts' to use glue anyway? I would have asked the floor salesman, but I figured if he knew anything, he'd start by ordering the tape that goes with the floors they carry. :D P.S. I already checked the Armstrong site, but the question remains 'unanswered'. Looking more for 'knowledge' than 'opinion'. Thanks.

·
Registered
455 Posts
That floor scares the crap out of me. I have only installed it twice and both times I used thier tape. Unless you can get someone from Armstrong to tell you you can full spread it with glue, and wich glue to use. I would use the tape to cover yourself.

Just be sure not to cut too full and create pressure bubbles anywhere. In fact its good to cut it a tad shy where you can to allow for expansion. Use caution when laying it out as bends and stretches will show. Also undercut door jambs and moldings where you can. Its good to leave as much baseboard and toe kick molding off util after your done with the floor

Also I would recommend pattern scribing the floor as opposed to knifing it in . This will help out laying it in, making it a little bit easier and lessen the risk of creases.

Be really sure the floor is super clean and free of waxes or dust or paint overspray along the walls before applying the tape. the tape is only as good as what its stuck to!

Sweep and sweep again or vaccume the area good. A spec or tiny stone underneath will look like a mountain when your done.

Lay out the floor first and get it where you want it then remove the top paper off the tape. Roll the crap out of it with a metal hand roller to set it in the tape. Be sure not to stetch the vinyl or create bubbles while you roll.

The idea is it will sort of statically cling where there isnt tape and its suppose to be stable enough not to shrink.

Use caution moving the appliances back as any vinyl glued or not ,can tear under small dolly or appliance wheels. A couple of scrap pieces of luan work good.

As I said im a little leery of the system myself but I havent heard hide nor hair from the folks whos homes I installed it in, and its been at least two years since the first one.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike,

That answer was so good, I wish I had another question for you, but you already answered them all. Thanks. After posting, I went to a different H.D. and found the tape, because like you say, I want to 'play' it safe. I really would prefer to glue and roll, so I'll call Armstrong on Monday and try to get an answer. I'll let you know what they say. Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike,

I never got a chance to call Armstrong, but I don't think glue was going to be an option anyway. I laid the floor today, went down beautiful. That must be 'cuz I took all your good advice. Only I couldn't pattern-scribe 'cuz I had no room to lay it out anywhere. It was a little tricky, about 9' X 11' (by myself), with a few 'jogs', but I gotta say I kinda liked the stuff, once I got past the 'jitters'. Thanks again.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Good man thats awsome. I realize sometimes the time and doubt leading up to working with something new can be more stressful than actually doing the job itself.

Next time your somewhere that sells armstrong...(other than a box store) see if the will get you a product and installation guide. I refer to it all the time ,its very helpfull.

Hold on to that leftover tape it comes in handy for a ton of stuff.

·
Orlando Car
1,636 Posts
good to know your job went well tom.. I am an armstrong certified commercial and residential vinyl installer with certifications on coving and heat welding. the reason they went that route with perimiterer viniyls was because INTERFLEX was a faliure due to poor installer training and knowledge on how to work with the adhesive , two were available , one to be used in concrete and another in plywood . some guys would use too much and would " BURN" the vinyl. INTERFLEX was also part of another high end line of vinyls from armstrong that was called STENCIL CRAFT. stencil craft was a very HARD material and available only in 6 foot wide only for the same reason. those materials now available are good, me personally , i dont like anything loose , i want to know my floors are glued. great job Tom . keep rolling:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
good to know your job went well tom.. I am an armstrong certified commercial and residential vinyl installer with certifications on coving and heat welding. the reason they went that route with perimiterer viniyls was because INTERFLEX was a faliure due to poor installer training and knowledge on how to work with the adhesive , two were available , one to be used in concrete and another in plywood . some guys would use too much and would " BURN" the vinyl. INTERFLEX was also part of another high end line of vinyls from armstrong that was called STENCIL CRAFT. stencil craft was a very HARD material and available only in 6 foot wide only for the same reason. those materials now available are good, me personally , i dont like anything loose , i want to know my floors are glued. great job Tom . keep rolling:thumbsup:
sorry, but Tom probably does not remember as this was all the way at summer of 2004!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts