Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
I had this taper at my place, finishing a small reno.
This is how he did the paper tape where the corners of wall and ceiling meet. (please see picture).
I asked him about the corners cracking and such and he said that this is perfectly acceptable since no cracks will occur because just approximately 1" its left exposed. He also said that this is better than the tape overlapping at the corners, creating a problem when it comes to the finished end result.
It's been a week since the wall and ceiling its painted ... no problems so far. :thumbsup:
Would love to hear from you the other Pros. Just want to know, not criticizing anyones work, just plain search for knowledge.
Thanks for your reply.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Did he use scotch tape like, in the photo?

:blink: What kind of Escher image-set up is that? I've been staring at it trying to figure out what it is? Now Assuming a mock up you assembled?

Taping corners like that goes against everything I've been taught, done and seen done in the field. Will it crack? - if the framing is tight and the rock is tight and properly fastened, much less likely. But as RJconsctructs said, corners with full tape, can crack too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all. Appreciated.
Yes, it's a mock up.
It's paper tape applied to the corner of a fish tank ... M.C. Escher would be proud of your mention.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,325 Posts
Well if it cracks we don't have a safety issue, give him the benefit of the doubt it's finished now. So call him back if it cracks. You should of asked him at that point if it cracks are you willing to come back and fix it? Although caulking could fix a slight hairline anyway.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
I but I've seen corners with tape crack to,
There's a few different reasons why that can happen..If the tape coat isn't cure before blocking /skimming .,, Too much mud over the angle tape can cause hair line cracks . Insufficient heating/freezing . And there's the old paint crack.. but I'd say too much mud over the angle tape is the #1 cause for hairline cracks in the angles.;) Ya almost want the crease of the angle to show tape just a tad... OH!! Wood shrinkage /warping can cause the drywall to do all sorts of crazy chit! This I know!:laughing:

·
Registered
818 Posts
I did it that way once in a kitchen, before I knew any better. It hasn't cracked yet, but I agree it's not right.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
If your trade is boarding and taping wouldn't you know the right way? I'm with artisan..... HO
So... what's the point here OP.

Do you really think that overlap of tape in an inside corner is ever going to be noticable...... so why F with a time proven assembly.

Oh yeah, there's cost savings in that 2" of tape savings...:thumbup::rolleyes:

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,325 Posts
We call it pulling the corners. You wipe it flat at tape, then you pull the corner when doing angles. Or pick the corners.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts