Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've got a tapco pro 14 brake, 10'6" long
My problem is, when I bend a 90 degree piece the ends are a little tighter then 90 and the middle is a little looser then 90. I've be trying some adjustment and nothing seems to help. Is something worn? Or adjustment issue?
Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, I've read that before and also watched a YouTube video about that.
When it talks about clamping the piece in there and then being able to slide it, there is no way to make mine loose enough to slide. The bolt that goes through the link, at the loosest setting, is about half way up the slide. Not sure if that makes any sense, do I need to trim the piece of rubber in there so that there is more adjustment?

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,802 Posts
My Black Max bends the ends past 90 too. Just got use to bending them back problem solved. Sometimes wonder if it is not because the may be less bend resistance at the ends then the middle?

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
My Black Max bends the ends past 90 too. Just got use to bending them back problem solved. Sometimes wonder if it is not because the may be less bend resistance at the ends then the middle?
This has always been my theory.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Have you tightened the hex bolts on the arms? We have a good tapco rep in our area one call to him and he is there same day for a tune up

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Dumb question Eric ,but you are lifting up the bottom to hem right.
Yeah, close the jaws, position the piece in the pocket and pull up on the handle. Small pieces close nice and tight, but the long pieces just don't close up as tight as I would like.

I'm wondering if any of this has to do with that rubber strip being worn out or oddly compressed?

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,965 Posts
Sometimes wonder if it is not because the may be less bend resistance at the ends then the middle?
Yep. Basic physics. The center is surrounded by a bunch of stuff; the ends aren't. Watch any experienced brake man, and he does the compensating stroke at each end without even thinking about it.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Yep. Basic physics. The center is surrounded by a bunch of stuff; the ends aren't. Watch any experienced brake man, and he does the compensating stroke at each end without even thinking about it.
I've always run my hand starting at the center and gradually applying pressure towards the end to kind of straighten things out. Just par for the course?

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,965 Posts
Yep, though on a 10' piece I'd probably start 2-3' from each end. Just depends on what gauge metal and how fussy you need to be.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Bending say window casings (a lot) then going to straight pieces will need adjusting. Rebuild kits are like $100 if you just wore out the cams.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts