Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a quote on installing a gas takless unit. Currently there is no gas service in the house, so by the time he install a manifold gets the service hooked up etc, it is more money than I was prepared for.

I have looked at some of the electric tankless units, and it would be much simpler/cheaper. Since I can wire it and I would not have to relocate to an exterior wall the hot and cold water pipes would not have to be moved.

I have heard good and bad on the electric units, so I am looking for input, esp from those that have installed or service both types.

House is one bath, will be 1 1/2 in the future. Just two of us, no teenagers to worry about. Real reason for tankless is real estate. The current tank unit is taking up room in our small kitchen.

The gas unit quoted was a Rinnai, and I was considering a Stiebel or EEmax if I go electric.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I'm waiting on the gas company now to put a line in for a customer so I can install a tankless. I like the idea of heating the water as you need it. but as far as which will be more efficient...I don't know, I guess its all relevant to how much higher propane is than electricity. I think I'd stay with electric if it were me. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I was all for the tankless gas wh when I first found out about them and was going to replace my perfectly fine 40 gal NG wh for one but after learning a little more I dont know that there all that great. From what ive learned is that it gererally will take 20 years for it to pay for itself by witch time the burners and internal piping will burn out and the whole thing has to be replaced. Electric will require a much bigger service line than existing but should still be cheaper and easier to install. Not to mention safer. Even if the electric dont last any longer than gas it was still cheaper up front. Just my 2c. I know it wont help your situation of space saving but have you seen the newest thing? Heat pump water heaters that will help cool your house in summer as a bi product! very cool idea

·
Registered
323 Posts
Honestly, long term savings are variable because of the fluctuations in the cost of natural gas / electricity in your area. Since you can't predict that, I'd go with the electrical because it will probably cost much less for an electrician to add a breaker (unless you need a new panel to support the extra amperage). Just check the ratings on whatever unit you buy and get some information about the temperature of the water coming in, because they're rated to raise the temperature of incoming water a certain amount. If you have naturally cold water in your area, you need to spend a little more.

·
Sean
5,533 Posts
Can your existing electric service handle the load? I know some require that you use 2 - 40 amp breakers. I would think that you would be better off with a high efficiency water heater instead of going tankless in this situation. As for Gas vs a HEWH - that would depend on your usage and other factors.

What is the coldest temperature that the water comes into the house? The tankless systems can only heat the water so much (as I recall 30 to 40 degrees depending on flow)

·
Registered
838 Posts
This subject has been here before & there are many Pros & Cons. It depends on what the needs are for example how many baths/ and hot water useage- flow etc.
Your situation is just like mine. My house is about the size of yours. I have 2 full baths-but there are only 2 of us and usually only one of us is taking a shower.
I installed a "cheap" Titan electric on demand 3 yrs ago mostly out of curiousity as it was easy to install & I was looking to save on oil as my hot water was from the coil of my furnace, & in the winter ran for when it called for heat & ran again for when it called for hot water. I also had to keep it running in the warm months.
I found this on demand was able to supply my needs & it is very energy efficient as per our electric bills. I would recommend it to anyone that has'nt beaucoup hot water needs.

As far as reliabilty, I had to change out an element on it-but only cost $20- so I would recommend having a spare on hand as you just can't buy them at your local hardware store. Hopefully this will help........Good Luck !!...........

P.S. I installed one in my stepsons small condo's closet to take the place of a 50gal tank & he just loves it & now has that area for storage.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Can your existing electric service handle the load? I know some require that you use 2 - 40 amp breakers. I would think that you would be better off with a high efficiency water heater instead of going tankless in this situation. As for Gas vs a HEWH - that would depend on your usage and other factors.

What is the coldest temperature that the water comes into the house? The tankless systems can only heat the water so much (as I recall 30 to 40 degrees depending on flow)
I installed a small unit in an office and it required a DP 60 amp service, it has worked well, but the biggest load on it is a dishwasher that gets run a couple of times a week other than that it is used to supply hot water at the lavatories and 1 kitchen sink.

For a house with a shower, and washing machine, you will need a larger unit, and it may require a service upgrade.

Edit:

The unit is dead, have to replace it, it lasted about 3 years.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input everyone.

mrmike, I had heard about element issues like it was a big deal, but like you say for $20 I'll keep it on the shelf if I go that route. I think Titan is made in the USA:clap:

bwalley, do you remember what brand unit you installed?

I had seen the heat pump units, but while it may cool you house in the summer, it also does that in the winter:eek: does not sound like such a great idea to me. And as I stated my issue is really space, looking at options and my current bill I think I am going to be come out a wash as far as the bills go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The following factors all play a role in choosing what type of tankless water heater is best for your needs:
  • the availability of a convenient source of natural gas or propane and/or an adequate electrical supply to support a high-output appliance
  • the relative cost of installation
  • the difference in cost between an appropriately-sized electric and gas tankless water heater
  • water usage habits and needs
  • homeowner / user preference
  • the differential between electricity costs and gas costs in your area, and your personal outlook for changes in such costs in the future
  • desired installation location

·
Banned
6 Posts
I have a Seisco at home and have fought off repairs for the first three years of usage. Luckily, the warranty covered parts and the parts are somewhat easy to install. IMO stay away from Seisco.

·
Registered
996 Posts
As far as I am aware there is only a tax credit on the gas ones, I have looked alot at the Bosch just havent pulled the trigger. As I would need electric.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Have you considered the smaller under the sink electrical units? Since you have such a small demand you may be able to make do with one under the kitchen sink and one under the bathroom. May be less $$$ than a whole house one...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts