Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of years ago Jim Baldwin taught a class on traditional tangent handrailing at my shop in Seattle, now for those of you on the other side of the country he it teaching one on the east coast. The class is going to be held at Martha's Vineyard on Oct 1. The link shows some of what is going to be covered http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2011/11/25/traditional-tangent-handrail/.

This is a rare opportunity to learn from someone who has done these kinds of fitting as a living for many years. If you are interested in learning how to make geometric stairs in the manner in which they have been done for centuries you will want to attend this class. For more information contact Deirdre Bohan at <[email protected]>

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Either from his web site or yours, Keith, I got the reference to "A Simplified Guide to Custom Stairbuilding and Tangent Handrailing", which has become my go-to book for stair layout and construction. The tangent handrailing stuff is fascinating, and way above my pay grade.

- Bob

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jim is at about retirement age, this is the second class he has taught and the next one will be in Philly next year. After that I don't know if he will be up for more or not. And I don't know of anyone else with his level of skill who is willing to take the time to teach others.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Jim is at about retirement age, this is the second class he has taught and the next one will be in Philly next year. After that I don't know if he will be up for more or not. And I don't know of anyone else with his level of skill who is willing to take the time to teach others.
Any more info on the Philadelphia class at this time?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts