Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just wanted to say hi from North Dakota. Last year I quit my day job to begin building my own home. Various personal reasons for the decision and there have been ups and downs along the way, but I'm enjoying the process and the satisfaction level is high. Building alongside my retired father, who worked in building trades his whole life. Contractors are very hard to find here in ND with our booming economy and good contractors are almost non-existent, so I decided to do it myself.

I found this site a few months ago and have learned alot already. Hoping I can participate in some discussions along the way. I will try to post photos as much as possible.

The home is not fancy or extravagant. My wife and I consider quality, longevity, and energy efficiency to be utmost concern as we live in a harsh climate and plan to stay in this home for decades. We are living in the garage during this building process (1200sq' garage with bath and kitchenette). Home will be split level total 2500sq' using radiant heat throughout garage and home.

Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Should also mention I'm keeping my options open for a career in building trades when I'm done with my own building project. The opportunities for contractors doing quality work here in ND are almost endless.

Also, I was the youngest ever licensed electrical trainee in Washington state back in the early 90's at 14. Been working with my dad since I was very young.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
this forum is for contractors, people who make a living all day every day in the construction trades, not for people who think they may become contractors after they have built some tin shack down by the river, to get out of the van, sorry if this sounds harsh but i see the same silly questions all the time from wanna be builders

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
this forum is for contractors, people who make a living all day every day in the construction trades, not for people who think they may become contractors after they have built some tin shack down by the river, to get out of the van, sorry if this sounds harsh but i see the same silly questions all the time from wanna be builders
This should be an exception to the rule.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry you had a rough day on the jobsite, boss. And just to things straight, I'm really looking forward to finishing my shack so that my wife and three children can freeze to death during our first winter in our new home. I'm cutting corners wherever I can, you know, to save money and ****.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just got done doing a job in Bismarck, I roofed and sided the Super 8 right next to Wal Mart on Hwy83 and just sided the new church over on Washington street. JL Beers is a great place to eat as well!
Nice! Yes, as you can see, Bismarck is growing. JL is one of my favorite places. Great food and one of the best beer menus in the area.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Maybe I should move to ND. lol

Welcome.

I'd like to see some pictures too if you care to share. If also like to read more about your project and the things you're learned during the process, etc.

Congratulations, nice to meet you.

·
Always Learning
8,722 Posts
Hey good to see you! I see the welcome party met you. We can be a harsh bunch at first. Definitely going to be fun to watch the progress on this.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Also, I was the youngest ever licensed electrical trainee in Washington state back in the early 90's at 14. Been working with my dad since I was very young.
I was in charge of minor work permits for several years in the '80's and '90's. I doubt very much a 14 year old could get any electrical license in Washington. The rules are almost unchanged from 30 years ago, minors are prohibited from construction.

http://www.lni.wa.gov/WorkplaceRights/TeenWorkers/Prohibited/default.asp#AllUnder18

1 - 17 of 17 Posts