Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ease of installation put aside, what is everyone's favorite vinyl siding and why? most realistic looking ,best quality ect...??

·
Registered
178 Posts
I always liked wolverine. It seemd to lock together very well and thier J channel seemed a little deeper. They also had what they called a stud finder feature built into the nailing flange that made it easy to find 16" or 24" centers once you found the first stud.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Certainteed Monogram. Good luck unzipping it to change out a someone elses mistake.
Ditto, been using Certainteed siding for over 20years and it's nice that they're carried as stock siding at so many places locally, getting panels/pieces is easy. Durability wise it's great to work with, even in the cold winter months, and the monogram is one of the hardest to get unlocked, which is a good thing for zero call backs, bad thing for screw ups LOL!!

·
Mickey
105 Posts
I use mostly Norandex, but vinyl siding seems to be going out around here. The yards don't carry anything anymore, almost everything down to the j channel is special order. Which is really frustrating, didn't use to be that way. I can only assume they are not carrying any stock because they don't have enough call for it, though I'm not sure of that.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I always liked wolverine. It seemd to lock together very well and thier J channel seemed a little deeper. They also had what they called a stud finder feature built into the nailing flange that made it easy to find 16" or 24" centers once you found the first stud.

I agree 100%. As far as vinyl goes Wolverine was the very best. Symmetry was their 40' panel and it was a dream to work with.
Royal's Architectural Suprema was also a great panel.

Otherwise I don't much care for vinyl anymore.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
one of my favorite siding was wolverines Millenium panel
cool concept and you hard nailed it,had like a 200 mph wind rating or something like that,i was surprised to see it go,i thought it was the nail hem of the future:no:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
you talking about the fiber glass rod that inserted in the nail hem?
That was Benchmark, Millenium had the mesh nail strip that could be gunned on. I personally loved the Benchmark.:thumbsup:

Attachments

Reactions: Tom Struble

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
no that was benchmark..also an innovative panel in it's own right

millennium had a fiberglass suspension system welded to the top lock

one of the advantages of the flexible nail flang is it spans nicely over wall iregularities,had a small learning curve but you could install it with a roofing gun

wolverine had a promotion and were giving away the 16 ga impulse staple gun,thats when i started useing a staple gun on more and more vinyl jobs
under the right conditions a 16 ga staple is an ideal fastener imo

http://www.buildersandremodelers.com/index.php/products-mainmenu-35/siding/vinylsidingmillennium

·
Banned
337 Posts
Benchmark could have been more inovative if they had glued that :censored: rod inside the panel. Damn thing would slide out everytime you picked up one end or handed a panel up lengthwise, nice panel but a PITA.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Benchmark could have been more inovative if they had glued that :censored: rod inside the panel. Damn thing would slide out everytime you picked up one end or handed a panel up lengthwise, nice panel but a PITA.
True PITA, but I always discarded the rod on anything under 24".

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
they got rid of that panel(rod) because sale's reps and home owners were finding the rods thrown in dumpsters therefore voiding the warranty.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts