Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have them both, but I never really use the blue one (fine line). Alot depends on the type of work you are doing, the type of chalk, and the surface.

·
JumboJack for president!
747 Posts
agreed. Blue line is pretty thin and stretchy. Definitely not something i would use if i wanted to see the line for a long time. Washes away in rain and very faint in color. But very fast and easy. I like it.

·
Bird Killer
189 Posts
I was actually wondering the same thing. I'm wanting to pick one up for the odd bits of framing I do helping buddies out and stuff.

Also, do you have to use their chalk?

(Not trying to HJ, I was actually about to post almost the exact same thread:D)

·
Registered
33 Posts
They claim you have to use their chaulk, but it is too hard to come by. I have used there chaulk and haven't really noticed a difference. The chaulk dust still shoots out the end and all over the surface. I have 2 of the red ones and 1 blue. One of the red ones has black chaulk for light surfaces and the other has orange/yellow for dark surfaces. Black is permanent, but they sell a die to make it super permanent. I dont really know when the ultra fine line will come in that handy.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
They claim you have to use their chaulk, but it is too hard to come by. I have used there chaulk and haven't really noticed a difference. The chaulk dust still shoots out the end and all over the surface. I have 2 of the red ones and 1 blue. One of the red ones has black chaulk for light surfaces and the other has orange/yellow for dark surfaces. Black is permanent, but they sell a die to make it super permanent. I dont really know when the ultra fine line will come in that handy.

I went to get one the other day only to find them out of stock at my "local" place to get Tajima....I want to try it with built-up crown moldings....figured the thinner line would make less of a mess.

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts
or the standard one which should i buy?

do the ultra thin lines wear out and snap quick?
In my experience, both last well.

For rough work (framing, roofing, etc...), use the standard line.

For fine work, the ultra thin.

But even the standard line is worlds above any other chalkbox out there.

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts
What I've noticed different in their chalk is that it lasts a lot longer than standard chalk in storage and even on wet surfaces, it performs great. Plus, it doesn't clump up nearly as much as standard chalk if the line should get wet.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
If you want a fine line, just use " braided dacron " fishing line in your regular chalk line. It is the only line that will hold chalk. Works great, been using this for years, and years, and years...............

·
Time Traveler
233 Posts
I can't get the fine chalk but I have the blue one and use it for drywall, and all my finish work (my MAIN field in a good economy). It has held up very well, their caulk gun is FANTASTIC! Next on my list it their tape measure if I can find one up here.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
I can't get the fine chalk but I have the blue one and use it for drywall, and all my finish work (my MAIN field in a good economy). It has held up very well, their caulk gun is FANTASTIC! Next on my list it their tape measure if I can find one up here.

Oh man, I hate you....now I want to go out any buy a Tajima Caulk gun...:mad:

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have both the blue and red,and use the blue one most of time. I like the thin line. I use the red on slabs and floor decks. Both are worth the cost.

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts
Tajima seems to have a "new" budget priced chalkbox.
The case is made of plastic.

Wow!
Only $12.-$15.!
That's pretty darn good.l
That'll steal sales from the lower end.
I have a red Tajima.

Now I have to find an excuse to pick up the new one (which looks "black" to me).

Oh, who am I kidding...I never needed a reason to buy a new tool! :lol:
I'll pick one up this weekend and let you guys know how works out!

Matter of fact, I have a reason!
It can be my "roofing" chalkbox!

I used my red Tajima for roofing because I had to but didn't want to (even though it performed flawlessly). Roofing is so dirty and tools get destroyed quickly by dumb helpers/laborers, but this nice black one would be perfect!

Fact is, last time I used my Tajima on a roof, I wondered why they didn't make a lower priced/lower end chalk line.

All the top of the line "other brands" I bought wouldn't last long with me.

Reactions: Andrew M.

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
I was working with a guy this summer that used one of the cheaper Tajima lines. He had one of the more expensive Tajima lines before that, he prefers the cheaper one. It just works more smoothly. I've used both when I borrowed them off of coworkers, and I would have to agree. I've never been that impressed with the more expensive Tajima, but the cheaper one rocked.

I use the top of the line Irwin, which is aluminum case, and has a line very similar to the Tajima. However, if I find myself needing another chalk line, I'll probably go for the cheaper Tajima. It's just as good as the Irwin, and half the cost.

·
Contractor
7,313 Posts
I was working with one of my GC's carpenters, he was helping me get some concrete forms cut and set one day. He snapped a line on one of the forms that was shockingly crisp and clean compared to what I get from the cheap Irwin chalk boxes I use.....but he was using the same cheap ass Irwin box I use.

I asked him how his lines were so clean and thin, and mine were wide and fluffy, he said he used fishing line. :eek: First thing I thought was mono filament ain't gonna hold any chalk, he said "yep it won't, but fly line will".

He buys a cheap Irwin box, pulls the line off and puts fly fishing line on it, last a long time, won't sag near as much on the horizontal, is darn strong, and leaves a laser sharp line.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was working with one of my GC's carpenters, he was helping me get some concrete forms cut and set one day. He snapped a line on one of the forms that was shockingly crisp and clean compared to what I get from the cheap Irwin chalk boxes I use.....but he was using the same cheap ass Irwin box I use.

I asked him how his lines were so clean and thin, and mine were wide and fluffy, he said he used fishing line. :eek: First thing I thought was mono filament ain't gonna hold any chalk, he said "yep it won't, but fly line will".

He buys a cheap Irwin box, pulls the line off and puts fly fishing line on it, last a long time, won't sag near as much on the horizontal, is darn strong, and leaves a laser sharp line.
sounds good, now we just ned to know what type of line and what breaking strain to buy

to be honest i have always used the irwin or fatmax lines but when they get wet i end up shearing all the gears off, something with metal gears would do the job

·
Mickey
105 Posts
I bought my Tajima from Amazon, they also have the chalk. None of my local suppliers had ever even heard of one. I'm thinking I might try the fishing line trick though.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
If you want a fine line, just use " braided dacron " fishing line in your regular chalk line. It is the only line that will hold chalk. Works great, been using this for years, and years, and years...............
I was looking for some of this braided fishing line you talk about. Found this on eBay. Note this seller's "other items". Is there another use (besides as a chalk line) for this product that I just can't figure out?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-STRON...925?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4602657b95

1 - 20 of 30 Posts