Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do you guys here consider Tajima Chalk Lines the best, what makes them better than the others?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Aluminum body. Nice build quality. Best of all they have the thinnest string so it snaps clear straigth lines. I believe there is also an ink version that does away with chalk altogether.

·
Super Moderator
10,674 Posts
I have owned two. As a framer, I am really rough on chalk lines. Are they better?
Yes. Are they worth $30? Not to me. I agree with Kent. Eventually the winding mechanism starts to bind like all the rest. Durability on the outside of a chalkline is pretty much meaningless. Not many of mine have met their demise due to an exterior failure.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had my first one for 5 years, second for 3, current one for the past 4. I really like the sharp line it puts down. I have tried putting the taj line into a Stanley box, but it was not as good as the Taj. Worth the cash in my ipinion

·
General Contractor
8,082 Posts
I love it, great chalk line, nothing else to add :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
28,889 Posts
Worth it to me. On my second one, first lasted a few years, so has this one. Irwins break within 6 weeks for me.

Lines are crisper as well.

Reactions: CENTERLINE MV

·
Registered
494 Posts
Just ordered a Chalk Rite Jam Free off amazon last nite. Will be here Tuesday with prime shipping. My Bostitch box won't snap a clean line over 8' long

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I've got two. The red metal case and the black plastic.

It didn't seem to work very well on rough concrete footers.

I also got a little bottle of dye, I think, that came with one of the lines. Is that an additive to the chalk, or does it get used by itself?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
The knobs all wear out before ghe line ever breaks or frays. I got a bunch that that all have the knobs off. I will call the salesman on Monday and see about free parts. That Woukd be great

·
Registered
477 Posts
They are like anything, If you take care of it it will last, I've had a couple for 3 years, I have a total of 5 I think.

The little knob has two tabs that hold it on, they broke on my older lines, but I PAM glued them back on they don't spin now but who cares.

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
I've got two. The red metal case and the black plastic.

It didn't seem to work very well on rough concrete footers.

I also got a little bottle of dye, I think, that came with one of the lines. Is that an additive to the chalk, or does it get used by itself?
The ink is used by itself. If you got a bottle of ink with one of the boxes, you purchased an ink line not a chalk line. I use both, ink is nice for basement remodels/build outs where the lines get stepped on a lot and you forget your hairspray at home.

Tom

1 - 20 of 56 Posts