Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Remodel
30,120 Posts
Actually, it looks from the picture that you have enough material to get it flat (un-clamped)

Gotta run:sad:

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
You're hosed on your pringle piece. You just have to do the best you can. Normally these would be cut extra thick, air dried (as was done). Then you flatten the back first, but you don't clamp it flat - it'll just spring back. Flip it over and do the front, again, not clamped flat.

One thing that may be helpful to you is stabilizing the wood. It's done with things like burl bowls and such, but it's not my thing, so research away. My recollection is it's things like ethylene glycol or glycerine. It MAY be possible to not allow for much movement if it's stabilized - pure speculation on my part.
That all became so obvious as I worked on the second one.

So much better results....stability wise.

We'll see what it looks like when I get back from the Outer Banks.

I found some solutions that you can soak the slabs in to stabilize them. Has to be full immersion, and for a bit of time. Very spendy in that quantity......just gonna have to work it out. That one will go to my client. The other two are gifts from him to important folks (to him).

Cheers H!

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Robie said:
People have been making these for centuries. What's the problem here?:laughing:
Here?

You......are the problem. (Insert laughing face.....IPad vacation-mode)

Come down and build em for me tough guy. I'll even pay you $7 an hour and provide all the Ramen you can eat (dogs welcome, mutts preferred).
I would be running that Router Sled......but I got no one to man the other side.
Bring Ken with you........he can do the dishes and water the flowers.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Done.

Picked up at 5 tonight ......by the clients.:clap:
Glad to get rid of em. They were taking up valuable shop space.

4 coats of Spar Varnish with a final coat of Spar Urethane on the tops.

2 coats of Spar Varnish on the bases.

Floating Lags and L-brackets to attach.

The slabs have been super stable for the past month or so. Zero cupping.....zero shrinking/expanding......well, none discernible. Stayed nice and flat all the way through it.

Thanks everyone....
Special :thumbsup: to Mr. Davis.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Those look very nice.I was a lillte late to the thread but hope you finished the bottom of the slabs the same as the top.Could have given you some pointers on attaching the tops to the apron without any metal involved and allowing movement.
Still fine looking tables.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Those look very nice.I was a lillte late to the thread but hope you finished the bottom of the slabs the same as the top.Could have given you some pointers on attaching the tops to the apron without any metal involved and allowing movement.
Still fine looking tables.

Thanks Mako. And.......

Uhhhhh......yea....well...

to be honest, I screwed up a bit.

I was originally told exterior for all 3 (now all interior) and wanted a durable finish that would seal well.....so I decided on Spar Varnish.

I shellacked with Zinnser through the process (as the right honorable HDude advised) and went and bought some Cabot Satin Spar Varnish.

To my great chagrin....they exclude shellac as a suitable undercoat.
As I had already removed all the shellac from the tops.....of the tops, and the bases were bare wood....I was cool. But there was no way I was going to get the 7 coats of shellac off those barely sanded undersides without $350 worth of abrasives and 2 years off of my life (favor for a client.....not so much scratch in it).

So......I caved.....put another 4 coats of shellac on the undersides and what turned out to be 5 really good coats (4 varnish, 1 urethane) on the topside.

Give it to me straight......am I phucked?

·
Registered
Remodel
30,120 Posts
To my great chagrin....they exclude shellac as a suitable undercoat.
As I had already removed all the shellac from the tops.....of the tops, and the bases were bare wood....I was cool. But there was no way I was going to get the 7 coats of shellac off those barely sanded undersides without $350 worth of abrasives and 2 years off of my life (favor for a client.....not so much scratch in it).

So......I caved.....put another 4 coats of shellac on the undersides and what turned out to be 5 really good coats (4 varnish, 1 urethane) on the topside.

Give it to me straight......am I phucked?
Should be OK.

I'll have to check out Cabot spar varnish to see what's magical about it...

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Should be OK.

I'll have to check out Cabot spar varnish to see what's magical about it...
Definitely....

I called them. Their tech line is usually really helpful. They said "adhesion" issues.

I read a bunch of stuff about waxed vs. de-waxed......traditional (waxed) shellac bad....de-waxed good.....:blink:

Thanks again man.....very grateful.

Reactions: hdavis

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
And the client was pretty happy?
Ecstatic.

They brought a cooler of Long Trail (Vermont based hoppy goodness), and added an extra tree fiddy to my requested payment.:thumbsup:

Reactions: Inner10

·
Radical Basement Dweller
27,208 Posts
I don't like them.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
I don't like them.
Well.....

okay....

would you like to talk about this?
Do you need a little nap?

(not really my thing either, to be honest......but the check cleared, and gosh darnit...I'm proud of my interpretation of "slab chic" (middle finger emoticon....please):jester:)

21 - 40 of 46 Posts