Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Our table saw just blew up this morning, and it's a saw we can't do without on our current jobs. I was wondering if you have any recommendations for replacement. We're leaning toward Bosch, but at that price I'd like get the input of others first.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I have been very happy with my DeWalt 745. As long as you don't need to rip larger than 16" or so it's a great saw. You can get a Rousseau stand to give you greater capacity. I also use a rail saw for sheet goods, so the limited capacity of the DW 745 doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, sorry about that. Right at the moment, we're ripping some custom trim for a cabin remodel. I'd say that's primarily the type of thing we use a table saw for.

That's for responding, guys!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, morewarner, that's the one the guys want.

I've been searching and pricing pretty much the entire morning. Northern Tool is offering free shipping on power tools right now, so I'm eyeballing the site. (Shipping generally costs a small fortune for my rural area. All we've got is Home Depot in the immediate area for this sort of thing, with it's corresponding enormous price mark-ups. :( )

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Most things ship free from Amazon too, so you may try there. HD usually carries the DW 745. It has a great rack and pinion fence, and for what it sounds like you are doing, this would be perfect. Cheaper too!

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
I've used the Dewalt, Ryobi, and Ridgid fold up type of saws and I think If I was going to get a new one I would get something like the Rousseau and a drop in type of saw. Something that the saw could remain in, has wheels, but folds up with the saw still in it and has the extended type fence. When I find something that fits exactly what I want, then I will buy something new. Right now I have the Ryobi (for light use) and Ridgid saws.

Maybe this Rousseau stand:

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
i strongly recommend the bosch, we have 3 dewalts and all of them are out of allignment and i have the bosch. we waste too much time with trying to align the fence so the dewalts stick to framing and siding. my bosch comes in when im ready to trim. the odd time someone knocks the fence out of alignment i can have it back in alignment in about 5 minutes. where as with the dewalt's we've wasted up to 2 hours on the things.

also the bosch has more power than the dewalt

Reactions: csnell

·
Fortune and glory, kid.
2,284 Posts
i strongly recommend the bosch, we have 3 dewalts and all of them are out of allignment and i have the bosch. we waste too much time with trying to align the fence so the dewalts stick to framing and siding. my bosch comes in when im ready to trim. the odd time someone knocks the fence out of alignment i can have it back in alignment in about 5 minutes. where as with the dewalt's we've wasted up to 2 hours on the things.

also the bosch has more power than the dewalt
Yeah, i can get some super fine detail cuts out of my Bosch (almost like sculpting). I'm really satisfied with all my Bosch tools, A1. :thumbsup:

DeWault, I'm looking to upgrade out of my tool arsenal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks so much, guys. We ended up with the Bosch. It really was a toss-up between that and the the DW you've spoken so highly of. With the exception of our Paslode stuff, we use almost entirely DW power tools. By the time I priced out the cost of the 745 and the stand, it isn't really all that less expensive than the Bosch.

Our saw that blew was ancient and we had no idea what was good product and not so good currently, so my guys and I thank you. :thumbup:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Makita 2703 in Rousseau stand; been very happy. Tough saw, will cut nicely w/o bogging down. Rousseau stand makes this saw perform much like a shop saw but with portability. Very fast electronic brake a plus. But if I was going for a saw today, I'd drop the bucks for a SawStop.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Makita 2703 in Rousseau stand; been very happy. Tough saw, will cut nicely w/o bogging down. Rousseau stand makes this saw perform much like a shop saw but with portability.
The problem I see when you buy a portable table saw like the Bosch is that's all you bought.....a table saw. The rack, the wheels all take up space AND my pet peeve is when I see two guys running a sheet of plywood.:furious:

The Rousseau gives you

an outfeed table.

A work bench.

Tool storage.

....and it folds away to nothing. That whole 5' x7' setup you saw in the pic's is in that lower left pocket in my trailer. The table saw is that narrow vertical blue thing behind the 12" Makita

Just making the point that if you need a portable workshop with your table saw ....THESE are the way to go.....Wheels on a table saw do you no good....JMHO:biggrin:

·
Registered
635 Posts
How many outfeed tables do you have, 3? I still have one but was thinking about getting another. Also, how do you like the router extension table? I think I see that in the setup. Rousseau is really a great system.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
That Rousseau stand is awesome :thumbsup:! Putting that on the I want list!

My cousin is looking for a portable table saw. He's not a builder just doesn't buy cheap tools. He was looking at the bosch table saw and I told him to check out the Festool TS-55. Do you think he would be better off w/ this as his main saw or should he just get a portable table saw??

·
I like Green things
23,018 Posts
That Rousseau stand is awesome :thumbsup:! Putting that on the I want list!

My cousin is looking for a portable table saw. He's not a builder just doesn't buy cheap tools. He was looking at the bosch table saw and I told him to check out the Festool TS-55. Do you think he would be better off w/ this as his main saw or should he just get a portable table saw??

Really depends on what he wants to do with it.

I rarely break out the table saw any more.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I have a rousseau stand if anyone needs it, it fits the older makita 2703 and dewalt dw744, PM me :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts