Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I did some router table millwork... today was the table saws turn. I milled up 126' of 5" stepped casing for a Victorian. This job will related to several threads as this casing will be Jack-Mitered and Backbanded and will have a cabinet head crown too.

This casing was made with one pass on the table saw, followed by a router table pass, and then 3 passes through the table saw on edge. Tomorrow I will ease the corners on the steps with a sanding and will hog out a relief cut on the back of the casing with the dado head.

Attachments

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
more please:thumbup:
Otay.

The smooth faces on the steps have not been sanded. I used a Freud Glueline Rip blade it produces very smooth cuts... great for this millwork application. The blade produces ribbons like this that are paper thin and uber-smooth. Also here is a pic with a couple of steps cut and one of the pile ready for easing of the step corners.

I'll check in later... off on a bike ride.:scooter:

Attachments

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Nise set up, Bass:thumbup:

Sure will suck if you are few feet short though.:laughing:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,692 Posts
I cut it three times and it's still to short :laughing:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Cost my some more mony!!!!

Another new saw blade,3 dozen spring clamps--:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Can I order all these toys through you so you get the commission?:thumbup:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,692 Posts
Stop using the 1" mark for your exact measurements. Use the 10" line, if you screw up by 10" you deserve to have to remake it. :laughing:

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice work Bass... You'd give Norm a serious run for his money. :thumbsup:
Thanks Chris, I like Norm.:thumbsup:

Here are a couple of pics of the "relief cut" set-up... I was dialing in the layout and depth... the shallower cut (3/32") is what I went with. It took 4 passes, but only two set-ups--run--flip end for end and rerun--move fence 3/4"--repeat. Making these shallow and wide dados in this set of millwork took one hour.

Attachments

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another new saw blade,3 dozen spring clamps--:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Can I order all these toys through you so you get the commission?:thumbup:
Mike the clamps and the Glueline Rip blades are worth the money... I wish I got a commission on the few products I recommend... I need to get my own website and start getting some ads on there. I spend enough time sharing ideas... would be nice to get something for it somehow.

The good blade helps, but the featherboards are the key. A few times I failed to keep the boards tight to the table and got bumps in the step line. I re-ran and couple that I noticed, but this one I missed and the saw was switched to the dado head... so I got out my straight-edge and utility knife and just fixed it... took just a few seconds to shave it back to the line:

Attachments

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,692 Posts
How much time you got into them moldings Bass? A 2 1/2" cutter for my W&H costs about $80 and you could run a 10' length in about 1 minute the way I have it setup.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How much time you got into them moldings Bass? A 2 1/2" cutter for my W&H costs about $80 and you could run a 10' length in about 1 minute the way I have it setup.
1 hour ripping random lumber to 4-3/4"
1 hour set-up
4 hours milling faces
1 hour plowing out backs
3 hours sanding, etc.

10 hours total x $60/hr = $600 labor
Material: = $150 wood
Total: $750 or 5.95/lf for custom 5" casing... seems fair to me.:blink:

I think the mill wanted a couple hundred for knives and set up and it was going the be a wash so I just did it... work being scarce and all... or so I hear. For any larger run than this a shaper and power feed or W&H would be nice... but you know me... I still used a folding rule today.:jester:

Attachments

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,692 Posts
$80 for cutters
$150 for wood add 15% $173
1 hour to size blanks $
1 hour to hog out back $
$1.69/lf to run using my formula (125') $211 about 15 minutes to run.
1 hour to sand, maybe $

$465.00 using 3 hours 15 minutes time.

$3.72/ft

But of course that doesn't include the W&H setup which is about $2500

Usually if I am running mote than 50' of something I want to make a W&H cutter.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts