Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was roped into a job by my mother, the cust. is a good friend of her's and on a fixed income. The siding is T1 and the south side is in pretty bad shape, paint beginning to peel but no rot yet. Spraying is out of the question for a variety of reasons.

I'm going to PW, 1 coat Zinsser Cover Stain + 2 coats BM MooreCraft Super Spec.

What is the best roller for getting down in the T1 grooves? I have to knock this one out as quickly as possible to keep from losing my a--. Will a 3/4" nap get in there?

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Takes a lot of scrubbing over those lines to fill em in with a 3/4" nap, but you can get by that way. Maybe try a 1"-1 1/2" nap. I know it sounds crazy to use such a big nap, but if you don't want to cut in each groove by hand, or spend hours scrubbing like hell to get paint in there, you'll need a thick nap for sure. No chance of tenting that wall to spray it or covering surrounding shrubs/lawn furniture whatever? The first thing I'm looking for when I see t111 is a way to spray that shizzle!!! :cheesygri

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Hey now, that thing would make fast work of those grooves! :Thumbs:
Slap that bad boy on a pole and go at it....I could prolly do a whole house with t111 in a couple hours with that....then just have to roll out the rest. /me adds new toy to wish list.

EDIT: After looking at the video etc. there are obviously a number of things you can do that are great, the soffits are one good example. However, they show using it on doors, shutters, etc. <rant> I wouldn't recommend it for interiors in any way. Due to it's design it leaves a heavy stipple behind that looks like it was mopped on. Not something you want on smooth walls....but great for filling stucco and t111. The part about the doors scares me....you just don't use a fluffy roller nap on any doors...let alone the door casing. The closest thing to that you should do is use a thin foam nap, and even those don't paint doors nice and smooth....</end rant>

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help, gonna git me one of them thingies. Looks like it does the whole groove in a single pass, too cool!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Piced one up today, only $17.48 out-the-door at SW. I saw them on the web for $19.something +S&H. I'll let you know how it works when we dryout a little bit, we're still catching some flak from Rita.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally broke out the new corner roller today. IMHO it's a piece of crap.

Most of the time it fell short of the corner by about 1/2". Other times it would hit the corner but it was intermittant and in order to get this much I had to max load the roller and push hard enough to make runs on either side. I played with using different angles and paint loads all for nothing. BTW it also flips paint everywhere.

I'm calling the co. tomorrow and see what they have to say about the above. I'll let you know what they have to say.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You may want to try a split foam 8 inch roller sleeve. I used one on tongue & grove and it worked well. If I recall correctly, S/W rep. said he saw a demo at trade show using it on T111. That or one HUGE brush! lol
Brenda

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
I've only painted one building with T1-11 and tried several types of applicators. Pads worked the best for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts