Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speaking air to air heating:
Just when you get home. I kn0w our place starts to feel comfortable within a couple of minutes while running. Also, as stated before, I like the equipment to run steadily as opposed to the shorter cycles.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
flashheatingand said:
Speaking air to air heating: Just when you get home. I kn0w our place starts to feel comfortable within a couple of minutes while running. Also, as stated before, I like the equipment to run steadily as opposed to the shorter cycles.
I use the nest with sense and auto away. I can also turn it back on a few hrs before I'm home if I'm on vacation. I'm sure it saves us a lot of money a year.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,543 Posts
I use to keep mine pretty low when we were away at work. That all changed when we had a power outage that took hold a few hours after we went to work. No power outage at my work or my wife's so it was unknown to us. Of course it was in the teens and by the time we got home the house was 50F. Power didn't come back on for a few hours and it took a good long time to get the house back up to temperature. The walls and floors and everything in the house had equalized to about 48F, so we weren't just heating the air to get things warmed up, we had to heat everything.

While we were gone I was keeping the temp at 60F, now I keep things at about 65F when we are gone. Only took one hard lesson to teach me that it doesn't take long for a house to cool off when it's frigid outside.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
In the summer, I set the temp 4 to 6 degrees warmer. In the winter, I turn off my heat, unless its below 20, then I set it to 45.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have turned of AC during the day. Indoor temp gets to 83. Turn on AC when I get home, and house stats to feel comfortable within minutes.

Think about a car. Indoor temp is probably 125+. When you first open three door. Turn on AC and the cabin cold down quickly.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use to keep mine pretty low when we were away at work. That all changed when we had a power outage that took hold a few hours after we went to work. No power outage at my work or my wife's so it was unknown to us. Of course it was in the teens and by the time we got home the house was 50F. Power didn't come back on for a few hours and it took a good long time to get the house back up to temperature. The walls and floors and everything in the house had equalized to about 48F, so we weren't just heating the air to get things warmed up, we had to heat everything.

While we were gone I was keeping the temp at 60F, now I keep things at about 65F when we are gone. Only took one hard lesson to teach me that it doesn't take long for a house to cool off when it's frigid outside.
Sure it takes a Spell to heat the walls and furniture but things start to feel better within minutes.

hydronic heat deals with heating walls...etc. But convection heat is like riding a bike in first gear

·
Registered
551 Posts
Just read an article that claims programable thermostats do not save any money. I was surprised by that. (JLC july page 65)

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,543 Posts
Sure it takes a Spell to heat the walls and furniture but things start to feel better within minutes.

hydronic heat deals with heating walls...etc. But convection heat is like riding a bike in first gear
Well I have the old fashion cast iron radiators.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I just keep it off. In the winter I'll have it set at 58. There's heat tape on the most outward facing pipes. There's also a heater thats hooked up to a thermostatic switch (not freeze buster, but some other one) It won't make the house toasty, but just prevent pipes from freezing.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
totes said:
Just read an article that claims programable thermostats do not save any money. I was surprised by that. (JLC july page 65)
They don't know what they are talking about. I get an email once a month showing my savings from nest. I have got my usage down quite a bit. At our Familey beach house the nest paid for its self in 2-3months. Programmable stats ain't much use unless you program them though.

·
Money Maker
852 Posts
beenthere said:
Yep, 45°F. I'm gone for 10, 12, or 16 hours, so why keep it warm. Yes, its takes some time for it to warm back up if its 10 degrees F outside. But 45 sure does feel warm when you have been out in that 10 degree weather for 1/2 the day or more.
I suppose it would feel good but F that lol. I don't bust my butt not to have a warm home

1 - 20 of 20 Posts