Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been asked many times prior but do to my ignorance in learning how to search this site I have to ask it again.
I have a T&M job. Its work only a highly skilled carpenter can preform. It's outside repairing a very large deck. Having to work with the Building Inspector and running out to buy required materials. I might add I have my 8x12 work trail on the site for tool and hardware storage.
The work is in an upscale area in the suburbs of Philly. How much can I expect to charge without cheating me or my client??

mike

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
If you are not on a total bid, then T&M needs to include your time and expenses.

T&M typically can run 10% to 20%....or whatever is negotiated. As a GC, I add mileage, off site time if it is excessive (like meeting with a designer or architect for more then an hour) and time working on the project. I do not charge for time on the phone, or my phone bill.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are not on a total bid, then T&M needs to include your time and expenses.

T&M typically can run 10% to 20%....or whatever is negotiated. As a GC, I add mileage, off site time if it is excessive (like meeting with a designer or architect for more then an hour) and time working on the project. I do not charge for time on the phone, or my phone bill.
Thanks for the infomation, very helpfull, but I wish someone would SHOW ME THE MONEY!

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
You want to know how much an hour you should be charging?

Here are a couple of guidlines you might use.

What is the union rate for a carpenter in your area? here it's $32.50

What is the public rate for a carpenter in your area? here it's $22.00

What are your overhead costs?

As a general rule of thumb, take the hourly rate and double it. eg. take the 22x2= $44/hr

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. Straight pricing questions are frowned upon here, as are 'Going Rate' questions. If you are a contractor seeking advice regarding your pricing structure, the Moderators of this forum would like to direct you to this pricing thread - Pricing, Estimating and Success.

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.