Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Our State License allows us to completely remodel a bathroom or kitchen. We do all the demo, hang drywall or rock repair studs if needed. Backing for grab bars. Chip up floors to remove old tile and relocated drains, then pretty much wrap it up set tile, fixtures etc. The only thing we won't do is the electric (we know how to do it) its just the in our scope of work and is not allowed by code so we call an LICENSED ELECTRIATIAN FOR THIS WHO HAS REAL LIABILITY INSURANCE AND WORKERSCOMP FOR HIS EMPLOYEES. Same goes for outside walls we open up for accessing to drain arms. We do the repair patch and stucco if needed then paint. All done in house by us legally licensed and insured company and of course to code.

Have a great day
Now don't forget to say hello to all those customers that walk by you at Home Despot that's company policy.:laughing:
You need to go back to the DBPR and look at what you can do as a licensed plumber, if you are doing the things in Bold you are working outside the scope of your license, and you would be considered an unlicensed contractor in those area's.

If you are going to do work that a General contractor does, you need to get the proper license, working outside the scope of your plumbing license is no different than what an unlicensed handyman does, but at least you have 1 license.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
I had checked with our local building officials , if its limited to the accessing, repairing and reinstalling of plumbing we don't even need permits. We can do all the patching, drywall etc. As long it was plumbing related they were OK with it. They were very adamant about installing light fixtures even if they were pre-existing, must be done by a LICENSED electrician. Sad part here we have handy dandy men doing all of the above and then some and no one to watch over them unless your in Miami Beach or Coral Gables, there if they catch you working without a license it's off to jail.
Oh and by the way, I also sit on the board for Code Enforement for the city.
Just because the local building department allow's you to do work that a division 1 license is required for does not mean it is legal.

Are you saying because you sit on the code enforcement board, you are allowed to exceed the scope of your plumbing contractors license?

As a Building contractor or an A/C contractor can I install water lines or repair a drain line?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
OK go ahead and call a drywall guy or a plaster to repair the wall you just open, even better call someone to patch the concrete floor. As far as I'm concerned all I need to do is call the pest control guy for sub/term and proof and I'm done. I'll finish the whole job. What's the big deal. If I don't do it,, well here comes the handy dandy man. I will not do electric (only what's allowed in my scope of work) and same for AC (I will clear cond.line) and that's it.

It's a huge battle here and we are not winning. We carry the license,insurance and ethics but no angels watching over us.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
maybe the union is not so bad

I DID MY APPRENTICESHIP WITH THE LOCAL UNION MANY YEARS AGO, BEST PROGRAM FOR SOMEONE WANTING TO LEARN A TRADE. IN EUROPE THIS IS PROMOTED VERY STRONGLY AND IS NOT FROWNED UPON AS A SECOND CLASS CHOICE FOR YOUR TALENTS, WORKING AS A BLUE COLL-ER WORKER, HEY IF YOUR GOOD AND ETHICAL YOU CAN MAKE MORE MONEY THAN.. IT'S UP TO YOU!

MY POINT IS...GET A LICENSE
(not an occupational license, a real one.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.