Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to troubleshoot a 2 year old t-lock roof on a 3/12 leaking in the field. Had a couple of roofers out and one guy thought it was the old 1x12 sheathing with shrinkage gaps that allowed some of the nails to puncture the shingle. That and the 3/12 not shedding water as well as a steeper pitch is causing about 4 or 5 leaks in the field. The leaks seem to be in a straight horizontal line. The closest valley or chimney etc. is about 3 houses away. I thought this roofer probably had the best explaination and we'll probably let him put the new laminate roof on but wanted to check for input from you guys first. Also we were thinking of leaving the old roof on to help bridge the gaps and save some money. RT

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Wouldn't be leaking if they'd put ply under it, don't make the same mistake they did. Strip it, sheet it, roof it. Rich.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
I have never installed a T lok, but cant this roof be dis-assmbled , the leak source located and repaired?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Aaron, chances are the Lok shingles might be hard to find repalcements for since many manufactuyrers quit making them. To be honest I think certainteed may be the only one still making those types of shingles. Other than that your suggestion is valid, assuming a replacement can be found.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. i might get a wild hair and buy the osb and the rafters to go with and make this thing a 5/12. i've got to make it maintenance free for 20 years because i mght last that long. After that I don't care. > Grump, i was down a the depot and they still carry glaslocks from OC in a couple of colors. I'm pretty sure the roofing supply carries a bunch of colors. T locks have always been popular here in CO. because of the 80mph wind, (no rain). I did some work in Casper Wyo. and i don't know how they keep their hair on their head. RT. We came out of a 3 year drought last year and a bunch of roofing outfits decided to leave town once it started raining. They will probably be in N.O.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts