Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thank God It's Friday!

Working on some customer presentation materials in the office today, then gather up some supplies for jobs next week.

Mexican restaurant with the wife and a movie tonight, the new Nicolas Cage flick looks good.

Skiing at Breckenridge on Saturday - they got pounded on yesterday!

Then off to cutting down a Christmas Tree in the woods.

I don't even know if I am going to be able to watch the Broncos since they have completly shot themselves in the foot these last 2 games.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I'm balancing my quickbooks with payables/recieveables I was going to go do a small siding repair but I'm gonna end up doing that tomorrow.

I'm gonna be staring at this computer all night trying to organize last week and next week.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Cool. I was going to head out to Missouri to do some deer hunting this weekend, but got invited to a couple parties this weekend. I need to look into moving out west where it's not an 8 hour drive every time I want to take my rifle into the great outdoors.

"Why are you organizing the past?"

Don't get all zen on us dude. :)

Tim

·
Dharma Building
81 Posts
I'd rather be skiing with Mike or sailing with Teetor, but I'll be stuck siding my old farmhouse in what we generously refer to as "mixed precipitation". No rain gutters on this place, so drip . . . drip . . . drip down the back of my neck. Ah, well, all things are empty. Zen enough!

·
Dharma Building
81 Posts
Suffering is good for me Grump. If I suffer enough I may make up for having been a lawyer, and be reincarnated as something other than a slug. On a serious note, any "hot" tips on cold weather vinyl siding? We at least have a warm place to cut.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Is there something special about Friday?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I thought that's what Sunday mornings were for. Sometimes I can put off work until noon!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Mike, are you saying that they work a 4 day week or that they just substitute Fri. for Sun. morning? LOL
I've been out west and have often wondered how people get paid so much for doing so little.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Grumpy, you need to get out there and see how these folks live! When they aren't skiing they come here.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Grumpy said:
Mike, I thought you were going out with the wife. I am very dissapointed that you lied to me ;)
I couldn't figure out what you were talking about, but then it dawned on me that you were probably looking at the time of the post - those post times don't match my time here. Let me post this and see what it says, it is currently 10:12 am here.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Let's put it this way, nobody in white collar jobs seems to work on Fridays. When I was one of them if I didn't get ahold of somebody before lunch on a Friday I wouldn't even bother trying because the son-of-a-bitches would be gone for the day. Even during the week, you go to the malls or such and they are packed, a common phrase around here is "doesn't anybody work anymore?"

I don't want it to sound like this place is the only place to live in the country, but it works really well for me. I love the outdoors and this place has lots to offer in that regard. There is definitly a different mindset out here. I came from NY and it took us almost 8 years to adjust to the lifestyle. People aren't lazy by any means but there is a vibe that there needs to be and there can be a balance between work and having a life. Employer's expectations are much different for what they can ask of their employees out here than from what I am used to back east.

My wife runs multiple offices for the company she works for, they are all over the country and the East coast office has a stick up its butt over the Colorado office, because they try to call here after 5:00pm during the week and can't get ahold of anybody, they also get pissed because they can't get any information from the Colorado office on the weekends while some of them are slaving at it on Saturdays and Sundays.

What you will see is an attitude of work your ass off during the week so you can have your weekends free. There is a really good work ethic, but there is just an un-written rule of - I will work hard during the week, but don't try to get in touch with me on the weekend. I'm trying to keep that same principal in the remodelling business. I haven't worked a weekend yet and plan to keep it that way as long as I can. It will cost me some money, but it keeps the wife happy and lets me hit the job hard and fresh come Monday.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts