Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
I eat sawdust.
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay so here we go.

Sony Xplode 6-1/2" coax for speaker. Decent for cheap speakers.

Cut out for the JVC KD-R600 deck with Ipod control.

holes for a speaker grill.... yeah my cardboard template was quick n' dirty, so it looks like crap. However, I keep telling myself it's only a jobsite radio...

I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep the radio horizontal, though. I guess I'll be using L brackets, but it's not an elegant solution.

Antec 350W PC Power Supply. I need 12V DC and this turned out to be perfect!

I priced stuff at an electronics store and a 240W 120VAC to 12VDC unit cost $150... haha! You can get a PC power supply for $35 and they are way better (though take up a little more space ):p

taking off the plug connector to mount on the case

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Speaking of home theaters....:shutup:

Lookin good, keep us updated with progress!

Is it ULC and CSA approved?:laughing:

·
I eat sawdust.
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Franken-stereo, I like it.:thumbup:

I can't help but think that the sides of that box are too flimsy and will rattle with too much volume/bass.

And having both speakers in the same air volume will cause the bass response to be muffled.

Maybe a couple of these would help?

I'm thinking of enclosing them in MDF, I'll work it out when I get everything test-fitted to see what fits.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Hahaha....I love it.

One thing...

Tell me how this is better than my $69 Makita radio that I can leave out in the rain, throw in a wheelbarrow and pile bags of concrete on top of.

I know. I know. :)

·
I like Green things
23,018 Posts
Hahaha....I love it.

One thing...

Tell me how this is better than my $69 Makita radio that I can leave out in the rain, throw in a wheelbarrow and pile bags of concrete on top of.

I dunno. I was going to take one of those apart and put it in a systainer.:whistling

It is kind of cool to have a radio right there in your stack. I have to make a separate trip to get my pos bosch radio.

Plus it's fun.

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts
Hahaha....I love it.

One thing...

Sort of in the same way this is better than the laptop you buy at Futureshop.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Franken-stereo, I like it.:thumbup:

I can't help but think that the sides of that box are too flimsy and will rattle with too much volume/bass.

And having both speakers in the same air volume will cause the bass response to be muffled.

Maybe a couple of these would help?

The bass will be fubar.

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts
Hahaha....I love it.

One thing...

Hey Greg!

Uh, I testify to that!
I personally worked with that radio "in" the rain!
Witness!

The only other radio I'd buy besides my Bosch.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
683 Posts
I like the systainer radio idea. It is always cool to see the franken-tools being made.

The Makita radio is awesome, it's a work radio not a home theater system.

·
I eat sawdust.
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I attached the speakers with some foam backer rod around the edges since the tweeter-part or whatever it's called was pressed up tight against the grill, this gave it enough space so that it's not tight plus might help with any vibrations, I guess...

I've got a question for people who may know more, if I stuff this with some fibreglass insulation, that should help separate the space between the speakers, right?

I may do the MDF boxes tonight.

Any thoughts on what thickness MDF it should be, ideally?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts