Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Built 2008, no information is available about sealants which many have been applied.

I would appreciate any comments, or links to information, about the possible causes and correction of what I'm seeing here:

Attachments

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
it might be the sealants used, most don't know which one to use

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Causes..

Extreme water penetration. EXTREME.

Solutions...

Pull it out and replace.

Prevention....

Proper flashing. Particularly the parapet

I would think the only reason the arch stones aren't spalling is because the water can leak into the framing

PS. for a 6 year old building I can see quite a few holes in the joints. Add to that the deepness of the joints and what looks like a type S mortar (going by how black some parts of the joints are) which was finished long before the joints were thumbprint hard and you have a pretty crappy 20-30 year job. That sucks

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Material defect, improper cleaning chemicals, insufficient flashing details, crappy workmanship, wetting and freeze/thaw cycles, improper sealant to name a few.

More than likely it's not just one issue. Shame for such a young facade.

This repair will be costly $$$$

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
.....there is a lot of joint damage in the brick wall. Some 'pressure washing cowboy' with a barrel full of muriatic acid was probably the start of this problem, and it's only gotten worse from there.

·
Registered
686 Posts
While the overall workmanship sucks, I personally think that what you're seeing is due to poor quality control at the plant.

We don't know for sure if it was pressure washed, if they did a test spot, or what additives may or may not have been added. Most cast stone should have the ability to withstand normal pressure from power washing though, I'm not sold on that.

And the modern sealants such as Siloxane are not gonna cause that....if anything, they will help prevent what we're seeing........I don't think it was sealants.......

I think what we're looking at is just poor product......not helped by the crappy workmanship. Probably the dry vibration method, with poor bonding between the 'face' coat and the substrate.........

I'll bet 5 bucks. :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
You can see lots of water damage to the brick as well. Look at the joints, effloresence, joints falling away etc... as well as the joints in the stone. Look at the parapet. No flashing, just a masonry coping, and the one joint we can see looks like it's pretty open

·
mason contractors
487 Posts
roof line?

wonder where the roof line is many times the roof flashing is brought too far up along the parapet back and the flashing isn't deep enough. Later on they come and mastic up higher locking in moisture. I also wonder if those blocks are made with lightweight mat.....they seem to have much salt content as many lights do. Sean is right on about the joints and no flashing under the caps. Sealers no doubt helped lock in moisture from the lips and parapet.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
My take,every mason who weighed in on this one was spot on !:thumbsup:

Sometimes it is quite apparent what the problems are by a few photographs,this one is readily visible.

The trouble and solution lies in all the answers / suggestions presented by the group.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
In my opinion powerwashing should be reserved for concrete. Low pressure and a brush is the best way
I've never even heard of power washing masonry when finished. I rarely wash now but when I was a labe it was white wash brush to apply and nylon brush to scrub. Usually got $50 to go in some time on Sat to wash. Took 1-2 hours not including the drive. I was making BIG money

·
Registered
502 Posts
My first thought would be to contact the material supply company. From there they would have to get the producer involved.
Fjn yourself and Mr. Ruskin should not look at this post any longer. As you share ideals you may not sleep well after seeing such an atrocity.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Could very well be my smart phone doesn't blow pic's up well. I guess they missed the one on second floor. Key stone that is? Something bad wrong here. May be those Chinese stones I've heard are being imported. But the brick work looks like Ray Charles laid them lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts