Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Secore Construction
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always used dumpster on my job sites. Last year I spent over $5000 on dumpsters so now I'm looking at buying a 14' PJ dump trailer but not sure if my 2010 dodge 1500 can Handel it.
Will be using it for demo work and some roof jobs. No rocks or gravel or anything like that.
So what do you guys think or better yet what you know

·
Registered
54 Posts
How much of the $5,000 was dump fees?
How much time will it take to dump the trailer each time?
We have dumpsters and have used dump trailers. It seems that we can fit a lot more in a dumpster than a dump trailer which equals more trips to the dumps.
You will use your dump trailer and be glad you have it, but it will cost you more time.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I like the idea of the trailer vs. the dumpster simply because the neighbors will start depositing their trash there thinking that it's for "public" use. People are much less likely to mess with a trailer.

Secondly, you can take the trailer away every day so that HO's house still looks clean and nice once you are gone for the day. Sometimes you have to live with the inconveniences of construction waste and most HO's know and accept that. But driving off with all of your trash every day leaves a nicer touch.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I did the same thing but went with a 36,000 gross hooklift dumpster/dump truck:
http://www.stellarindustries.com/pages/hooklifts.htm

A little more money, but as you expand you can have dumpsters at multiple sites, haul gravel with a gravel bed, haul lumber/scaffold with a flat bed, tow an excavator or a telehandler, etc.

Mine is a single axle with a Cat diesel and an Allison Automatic. Other than getting the CDL it is easy to drive.

·
Home Repairs
291 Posts
I have always used dumpster on my job sites. Last year I spent over $5000 on dumpsters so now I'm looking at buying a 14' PJ dump trailer but not sure if my 2010 dodge 1500 can Handel it.
Will be using it for demo work and some roof jobs. No rocks or gravel or anything like that.
So what do you guys think or better yet what you know
Anything that can save on dumpsters is a winner. I have a 14' single axle PJ which isn't even close to a dump and it makes/saves me money. Most of my work is on a smaller scale compared to others so the single is fine for now. But if I were doing roofing, landscaping, etc. etc..........I would have a dump in a heartbeat. Texas Bragg & PJ seem to be the favorates around here in the Hampton Roads area.

The last renovation I did for a flipper cost her about $1100.00 for (2) 16 yard dumpsters during the job. She had a 14 day agreement plus weight for each. It would have been less than 1/2 that for her to dump everything herself. Some of the dumspster truck drivers are not very gentle either when they drop the darn things off.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I like the idea of the trailer vs. the dumpster simply because the neighbors will start depositing their trash there thinking that it's for "public" use. People are much less likely to mess with a trailer.

Secondly, you can take the trailer away every day so that HO's house still looks clean and nice once you are gone for the day. Sometimes you have to live with the inconveniences of construction waste and most HO's know and accept that. But driving off with all of your trash every day leaves a nicer touch.
Absolutely agree! I see a crew with a huge dumpster doing a roofing or siding job and almost cringe...if I threw a heavy dumpster in a customer's driveway with my luck I'd be buying someone a new driveway every year.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have a small 5x8 dump trailer. Its super handy, and small enough that we cant load it to the point of big MOT fines. Fits in tight spots too, handy on city lots. Its a 6000lb dump, weighs around 1100lbs so it can still take a bunch of weight. We use bins whenever were more than 45mins from the dump, or if a job will need more than one dump a day.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
A 1/2 ton truck will pull the 14' dump trailer but will it stop it, make sure you have a trailer brake set up.
I think it will be cutting it close but if you don't mind working that truck to its limits then it may be ok.

·
Been around
1,174 Posts
Why is it one or the other?

Dumpster fees include hauling fee and tipping fee. The tipping (tare, weight, load) isn't going to change whether you haul or they haul. What will change is the hauling. Your time or theirs? Your fuel or theirs? Your wear and tear or theirs? Your liability or theirs?....etc.

I would suggest that on a single job more than one haul to the dump would likely fall to the favor of hiring the dumpster company.

But a dump trailer is not just for debris. It's a trailer as well. Load it up with tools or material as needed.

And on those smaller jobs where you only need to scrap a couple thousand pounds the dump trailer could be cost effective and convenient.

I would not look at own versus hire as a mutually exclusive scenario. I would be thinking along the line of, "Would the addition of a dump trailer improve my margin?"

Here are some points you could use to evaluate true cost:

Look at the work you did last year. Take a sample of different job types and review the cost of debris removal. Then take out that cost and try to substitute what the cost would have been with a trailer, trying to be as realistic as possible (time, fuel, reasonable wear and tear, some portion of the cost of the trailer).

There may be jobs where the trailer would not be used even if you had owned it. That's fine, those jobs won't change the value the trailer provides you.

Maybe there were jobs where having the trailer might have saved a trip back and forth to the shop? Planks, staging, wheel barrow, compressor, etc,, sometimes goes beyond what you can fit in the bed of a PU truck. From a job standpoint this could save a couple trips to set up or tear down a job....might be worth $25-$100 on a given job.

If you spend a little time with your analysis you should come up with a reasonable estimate of how long you will have to work the trailer to make it pay. It may be really fast or it may be never. It is completely dependent on your individual situation.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.