Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
Carpentry and Remodeling
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
That's the question you want paint to last against what? I can go to my clients 20 years later and the paint job can be pristine regardless of what paint I used. I'm not sure what you're looking for. Don't you do a full repaint with each new tenant?
I want paint to last as long as the tenants are residing there. I imagine I would do a full repaint after each new tenant if needed, but I'm still new to this so I don't have the experience necessary to confirm that yet. If paint lasts 20 years no matter what paint you buy, why are you springing for higher quality? Are there factors besides longevity that cause you to buy regal select for example? I understand workability, finish, etc but it was my understanding that a higher quality paint will last a lot longer.

·
Registered
Remodel
32,940 Posts
There are a lot of caveats that go with that. If you're doing saturated colors, you need to go with a system that's good for that, and won't fade.

Those are expensive paints.

If you are going to offer a broad range of colors, around here that's SW or BM.

·
Registered
Carpentry and Remodeling
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
There are a lot of caveats that go with that. If you're doing saturated colors, you need to go with a system that's good for that, and won't fade.

Those are expensive paints.

If you are going to offer a broad range of colors, around here that's SW or BM.
Can you give me some examples of where it's not worth it to upgrade? I think I've at least established at this point that buying cheap paint at sw or bm is better than buying cheap paint at home depot. When is it worth it to upgrade to something nicer and when is it best to stick with something like promar or ultra spec? I understand it depends on the situation but general guidelines would be nice.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I want paint to last as long as the tenants are residing there. I imagine I would do a full repaint after each new tenant if needed, but I'm still new to this so I don't have the experience necessary to confirm that yet. If paint lasts 20 years no matter what paint you buy, why are you springing for higher quality? Are there factors besides longevity that cause you to buy regal select for example? I understand workability, finish, etc but it was my understanding that a higher quality paint will last a lot longer.
I use whatever paints first off how it applies in my case for interior walls that starts at Regal and up. There's many other factors why I choose the paints I do. I don't use anything based on cost not even ceiling paint. What's going to happen to Promar 200 that won't happen to Duration? I still don't get what you mean by "last". I've never seen interior paint go bad because it was cheap.

I mentioned matte and those are only available in higher end products it has the least sheen for washability. You want protection from dirt, scuffs, etc. you have to start with a sheen other than flat. Every rental I had anything to do with in the past the owners either used eggshell or cheap clay base paint. Some units just needed touch up others were trashed Duration or Regal wouldn't have helped at all.

·
Registered
Carpentry and Remodeling
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I use whatever paints first off how it applies in my case for interior walls that starts at Regal and up. There's many other factors why I choose the paints I do. I don't use anything based on cost not even ceiling paint. What's going to happen to Promar 200 that won't happen to Duration? I still don't get what you mean by "last". I've never seen interior paint go bad because it was cheap.

I mentioned matte and those are only available in higher end products it has the least sheen for washability. You want protection from dirt, scuffs, etc. you have to start with a sheen other than flat. Every rental I had anything to do with in the past the owners either used eggshell or cheap clay base paint. Some units just needed touch up others were trashed Duration or Regal wouldn't have helped at all.
My idea of lasting is the paints ability to hold up to normal wear and tear. Kids, pets, traffic, washing, etc. You might have to break it down real slow like I'm stupid, but I'm not quite understanding the intrinsic value of more expensive paint according to what you're saying. Does it just break down to it looks nicer? I've read so many times in my research that cheap paint is only more expensive, but if they last the same amount of time how is that true? I'm more confused now than when I started this thread.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Can you give me some examples of where it's not worth it to upgrade? I think I've at least established at this point that buying cheap paint at sw or bm is better than buying cheap paint at home depot. When is it worth it to upgrade to something nicer and when is it best to stick with something like promar or ultra spec? I understand it depends on the situation but general guidelines would be nice.
My discaimer: I do not paint rentals, I have no interest in that work, but in my earlier days I did plenty.

Generally speaking, with exception to the high end quality rental properties, most renters could care less about minimizing, caring for, cleaning painted walls and trim etc. Therefore you will be painting between tenants.

I am assuming you want a nice looking rental ready for the new tenant vs the one color on everything look.

I would paint a rental with a paint that is easiest to apply and covers what you want it to cover, which means stains, grime, dirt etc. I never put on one coat, always two coats, the cost of the second coat is minimal overall so why skimp? The cheap paints can require many coats and thus more labor. It just all depends on the quality of the finish you are trying to achieve and how much labor you think is reasonable to get there.

Generally speaking the Promar line of products are well suited to maximize economy painting. I would suggest Promar ceiling, PM200 egg' for walls and PM 200 alkyd modified SG for trim (urethane or enamel i think, haven't used it in ages). In my opinion, you will get a decent economy priced paint that will cover just about what one would expect in a rental with minimizing labor costs.

Save the higher end Duration and Proclassic etc. for homes where the home owner appreciate the benefits of quality paint and will actually clean it occasionally.

·
Registered
Remodel
32,940 Posts
Basics. There is flat, but in actual practice it may be + or - for sheen. Same thing with eggshell, satin, semigloss. Maybe gloss, too, but I almost never use it. Cheap ones like Glidden are on the minus side for sheen - it's part of why they're cheaper, less acrylic solids . use a flat one if those, and the surface us left porous, and ceiling flat can be very porous. Doing a repaint with the same product, you can wind up with almost uncontrollable roping when you're rolling. it just gets sucked down into the underlying paint and there is nothing left to roll out.

That's one example. When you chalk up 4-5x labor just trying to control defects, you're money behind.

No matter what product you use, you have to know your product. Some are more quirky than others. That's where knowledgeable sales people can help.

·
Registered
329 Posts
My personal rentals I have had for years now...
I use Regal. Regal select now. An eggshell finish. Revere pewter. Used to be linen. One of the bedrooms was a very light blue, now it's barren plain. ( Leftover from a customer)

I always try to sparkle the walls Abit. Try o keep the place in nice shape. It shows better and you can get better payers. (LOL) It's voodoo picking tenants...

I find standardizing my colors is easier for me. Using a decent paint makes coverage easier, and it lays better. I hate the orange peal look with roller marks all over the walls.

My last tenants stayed a year. I didn't even have to wipe the walls. But I was going to paint single coat one long wall, realtor rented it in days, said don't worry about it ...

We're probably talking about 4-5 gallons of paint pending single coat a two, I generally always do two, but with a relatively clean wall same colors a single coat is fine.

So what are we talking about a $100- $125 in cash savings in this situation if it's saving me a half day it's well worth it to me.

I seen some people like to use what ever orphan paints they can scrounge to paint their units ..no prep ..and after a few paint jobs it really gets that rental vibe... (.my parents would do that, until I took over the painting detail)

I don't think it's worth go that route, the property is an investment, so I think it's worth protecting it where you can.

37 years and counting....

·
Registered
Carpentry and Remodeling
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I think that brings some clarity. I brought it up with my rep and he still leans towards duration for long term with kids, pets, etc. He said promar would be fine for quicker turnovers or lighter use tenants. I'll have to ask him where superpaint fits in there. Anyways, I think I'm armed with a lot of info at this point and its time to just start using the different products and see what works for me. I'm sure it will change depending on the situation. Ready to get my hands dirty and gain that experience. Thanks for all the suggestions folks, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I'll have to ask him where superpaint fits in there.
Superpaint is a good quality paint and one of my go to paints, a step up from Promar in regards to limited cleanability. Its between Promar line and Duration but so are several other paints.
To keep it all straight forward Duration is my go to product, with Superpaint for non bath and kitchen if customer is so inclined. Eminence on Ceilings as there is no roller spray (currently unavailable). There could be many other similar options but simply it is what I like and i know the pricing.

·
Registered
Remodel
32,940 Posts
When you talk to your rep, make sure to ask what brushes and roller covers work best, plus technique tips.

·
Registered
Carpentry and Remodeling
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Out of curiosity, how many of you guys have used scuffx? I've mostly narrowed down what paints I want to try, but I'm not sure where this paint fits. Surely for any future commercial work, this would be a great consideration. But a bm rep in my area (my local store doesn't have a rep) said a lot of his landlord customers like to use it on their properties. Price wise it's about a buck and a half less a gallon than duration. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have used it twice, once for a pair of commercial bathrooms. And a rec room.

Paints well.

Some guys here use it for trim.

My Ben Moore guy painted his family room with it.

It's comparabley priced to Regal Select.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I’ve used the scuffx a few times, it’s not terrible but I’m not a big fan either. It doesn’t seem to brush out well, it dries way to fast or something, especially in the winter when the humidity is low, it always needs a little extender to flow well. Try it for yourself though and see what you think.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Chb is the closest thing to a true flat paint I've ever seen. The flatter the paint the more it hides imperfections. I'd highly recommend chb on ceilings, it is much better than pm200 flat. Pm200 flat isnt truly flat, it does have some sheen.

The best advice I can give when dealing wuth rentals is this- pick one ceiling paint, one wall paint and one trim paint, and stick with that in all your rentals. A lot of rentals I do even use the same paint on both walls and ceilings, this makes things even easier. Long term using the same paints everywhere will make things so much easier!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Chb is the closest thing to a true flat paint I've ever seen. The flatter the paint the more it hides imperfections. I'd highly recommend chb on ceilings, it is much better than pm200 flat. Pm200 flat isnt truly flat, it does have some sheen.

The best advice I can give when dealing wuth rentals is this- pick one ceiling paint, one wall paint and one trim paint, and stick with that in all your rentals. A lot of rentals I do even use the same paint on both walls and ceilings, this makes things even easier. Long term using the same paints everywhere will make things so much easier!
Have you noticed any paints becoming less flat lately? I’ve been trying a little bit of zinssser ceiling paint and the last one almost looked like a satin even days later. My buddy had the crazy theory that they were using less flattening agent since everything was in short supply which almost sounded plausible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have you noticed any paints becoming less flat lately? I’ve been trying a little bit of zinssser ceiling paint and the last one almost looked like a satin even days later. My buddy had the crazy theory that they were using less flattening agent since everything was in short supply which almost sounded plausible.
Hmmm that sounds far fetched. Nope I haven't noticed anything like that..

Do paint bases start out with a sheen and have flattener added? Or start out flat and have sheen added?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I know clears start out clear and have flattener added, I don’t know if paint has a similar thing. I just don’t know what else it’d be, that paint had a lot of shine, it was weird.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Yesterday right after lunch I was walking through Home Depot. Walked past the paint department and no employee there to help anyone. One or two customers were standing there. And there is why i will never buy paint from HD.

·
Registered
Carpentry and Remodeling
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Yesterday right after lunch I was walking through Home Depot. Walked past the paint department and no employee there to help anyone. One or two customers were standing there. And there is why i will never buy paint from HD.
That's actually pretty common from what I've seen. I much prefer Menards for most materials, but home depot is much better for tools.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts