Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
The Medallion is great. I was doing a black and orange house. It looked better than it sounds.

Anyway, I stopped laying drops as I rolled the 3 foot wide wrap around lid.

It would not drip and covered beautifully. Then they stopped selling it around here.

Tried the other Valspars and they suck completely. Worst I've ever used.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
A guy at the lumber yard recommended I give it a try and I was impressed.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Here's my two cents. My preference is Moore's over SW. California Paints (here in New England) I've found superior to both. Also, My cali store carries Pittsburgh, Muralo, Cabot (whom Valspar completely ruined about 10 years ago) and C2, along with many specialty paints.

For your work, the BM Superspec is fine. Ben is absolute garbage. For the money use the regal classic. As many have said before there is nothing more expensive than a cheap coat of paint. Inside we use (from BM) Regal, Aura in bathrooms and for dark colors and I really like the Advance.

SW does make good products, but it also makes bad ones. Also, everything in that store (pretty much is made by SW) They are not the best at making everything. My biggest beef with them is not so much the products, but the utter incompetence of the people at the stores. This here in Massachusetts and southern NH is universal. As a pro, I expect the people behind the counter to know their products and know how to run a paint store. I could fill pages with examples of the times (to put it nicely) that they (meaning the performance of the people at the paint store) caused me great inconvenience. This is in dealing with 4 SW stores. Its not the store, its the way the company does business.

Long story short, there are alot of great products out there. In 29 years painting (running as many as 18 people) I have had legitamate product failures two times. TWO. I have had chemists out to a jobsite. Buy the people behind the counter. Work with the people that have been around awhile that know paint and paint systems. They should be able to tell you the best system for any project at any price. Sometimes 1 coat of superspec is all it needs. Othertimes its much much more than that. There should be someone in the store to explain the difference. Buy from those people. Not from the people that always have to direct you to the guy that isn't here today.

·
Registered
Carpentry and Remodeling
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Okay, lots of good info here. As I suspected, my mileage may vary so I'm just going going have to try them out. My bm store doesn't have a lot if products on their site, so I'll have to find out what all they carry. Can you guys recommend a good paint for rental properties? It seems most guys choose the cheapest paint they can, but paint that costs less than $20 a gal normal price scares me a little. But I also don't want to go painting rentals with duration or regal select. Im leaning towards pro Mar 200 for sw or ultra spec 500 for bm. I'm not sure about trim paints yet, scuff x seems promising, maybe pro classic? I haven't started exteriors yet, but I see no reason to skimp on that.. Anyways, drop your suggestions for a good value durable paint. And good touch up capabilities would be great too.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
I’m happy with one coat of ProMar 200. It covers anything light in color with one coat.

Yeah, cheap paint doesn’t save you any money if you need to do it twice. Not to mention the drips. Oh, the drips!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
I do a lot of exterior repairs, sometimes as small as one piece of window trim or a couple boards of lap siding, and painting to match existing.

I’m happy with A100 by the gallon.

No quarts in A100, only in Resilience.

1/64ounce if colorant makes a much bigger difference in a quart than in a gallon, so you will always get a better match if you buy a gallon instead of a quart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
SW for me...but you never know what they're reformulating this week...?

A close second - Valspar at Lowes is very consistent and good pricing if your not plugged in or bug the SW folks every order.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As a few have mentioned. Developing a relationship with the staff and management of the store is sometimes more beneficial than which company the store represents.

I have accounts at both sw and bm and the customer sevrvice is much better at the sw store. Over the years I've gotten ti know the staff and the manager. They always give me a little bit of the vip treatment, due to being a regular. I'm in and out of the store more quickly and my orders are done right.

Getting paint at a big box store is a slow painful experience in comparison.

For rentals I'd go with CHB or pm200 at sw and ultra spec 500 at bm.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I want to switch from a box store to a good paint store. My line of work is going to be mostly rentals, with some higher end work potentially there. I have a sw and a bm store in my area. My boss is a mid level kind of guy so probably super paint for sw or Ben for bm. I could see moving up to duration or regal select if the price is right. What are your opinions on either store? I'm sure there's some controversy as with all things but put your thoughts below.
Perfer BM, i find moore options there,

·
Registered
Carpentry and Remodeling
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Update: I had a meeting with my SW rep and a store employee today. I talked to my boss before the meeting, and he said most of his rentals are long term, so he saw the value in a good paint that would be washable and last a long time as opposed to cheaper paints. In the meeting today I laid out my needs and he suggested Duration Matte for walls, Emerald Urethane for trim and CHB for ceilings. I have also just started talking with my BM rep and so far for my needs they have suggested scuffx. I know I could get regal select and duration for about the same price, I'm guessing scuffx will come in significantly cheaper than either. You guys can weigh in on those options. However I am leaning towards SW right now. I liked the guys I talked to, and if I get good products, good service, and good pricing, I'll just stick with them I'm sure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree with the chb for ceilings. Personally I eouldrun pm200 eg on the walls and proclassic latex satin on the trim.

Being washable sounds great, but very few tenants actually wash their walls and when it gets turned, it gets repainted anyways. I'm not seeing the value in spending more money on high end paints in rentals.

·
Registered
Carpentry and Remodeling
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I wholeheartedly agree with the chb for ceilings. Personally I eouldrun pm200 eg on the walls and proclassic latex satin on the trim.

Being washable sounds great, but very few tenants actually wash their walls and when it gets turned, it gets repainted anyways. I'm not seeing the value in spending more money on high end paints in rentals.
I understand not wanting to put a premium paint in a rental, I just want something that's going to hold up for 5+ years. I feel like pro mar 200 would be well suited to something with higher turnover, more like 1
-2 years. I'd be open to superpaint or Cashmere too. I could be wrong, I'm still trying to figure this out.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I understand not wanting to put a premium paint in a rental, I just want something that's going to hold up for 5+ years. I feel like pro mar 200 would be well suited to something with higher turnover, more like 1
-2 years. I'd be open to superpaint or Cashmere too. I could be wrong, I'm still trying to figure this out.
What sheen are you using in these rentals? I'd use a matte not flat for walls in a long term rental.

·
Registered
Remodel
32,940 Posts
Rentals here tend to be anywhere from eggshell to semigloss, with the semigloss people spraying everything in the unit one semigloss color.

Once you clean semigloss, it may be knocked back to a satin and eggshell back to a matte.

Some off whites will get you 10 years even with Glidden. Colors really show fade differences between paints.

Up here, SW is going to charge you way more than what they charge volume purchasers. They may be getting it for less than 50% of what a small volume customer does.

Top coats I use BM or PPG/Glidden.

·
Registered
Carpentry and Remodeling
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Rentals here tend to be anywhere from eggshell to semigloss, with the semigloss people spraying everything in the unit one semigloss color.

Once you clean semigloss, it may be knocked back to a satin and eggshell back to a matte.

Some off whites will get you 10 years even with Glidden. Colors really show fade differences between paints.

Up here, SW is going to charge you way more than what they charge volume purchasers. They may be getting it for less than 50% of what a small volume customer does.

Top coats I use BM or PPG/Glidden.
I understand that SW will charge me more for lack of volume, but unless I'm getting quality paint substantially cheaper elsewhere at the same volume than its a moot point.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Glidden is a cheaper paint. If I can get 10 years out of Glidden, what's the point of going higher quality? I'm not trying to question the value of higher quality, I just don't understand that statement with regard to the overall consensus of this thread about cheap box store paint. Please explain.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I understand that SW will charge me more for lack of volume, but unless I'm getting quality paint substantially cheaper elsewhere at the same volume than its a moot point.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Glidden is a cheaper paint. If I can get 10 years out of Glidden, what's the point of going higher quality? I'm not trying to question the value of higher quality, I just don't understand that statement with regard to the overall consensus of this thread about cheap box store paint. Please explain.
That's the question you want paint to last against what? I can go to my clients 20 years later and the paint job can be pristine regardless of what paint I used. I'm not sure what you're looking for. Don't you do a full repaint with each new tenant?

21 - 40 of 61 Posts