Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
Carpentry and Remodeling
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to switch from a box store to a good paint store. My line of work is going to be mostly rentals, with some higher end work potentially there. I have a sw and a bm store in my area. My boss is a mid level kind of guy so probably super paint for sw or Ben for bm. I could see moving up to duration or regal select if the price is right. What are your opinions on either store? I'm sure there's some controversy as with all things but put your thoughts below.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I left SW many years ago incompetence, overpriced, price hikes, product reformulations, not selling products they don't own, etc. I absolutely despise everything about SW. BM isn't cheap but that's not what I'm looking for I don't like Ben or Super paint but I don't do rentals I'm sure both have something better suited.

I basically use BM in higher products but my supplier carries many brands so I always have options. I was using Pratt & Lambert which is owned by SW until recently they left my favorite products alone I no longer use them.

Anything is better than getting paint from a big box store. There's not a lot of options since they all buy each other out but SW is notorious for turning everything into crap.

·
Registered
Carpenter
99 Posts
I only use a few products from SW but my local has trouble keeping them in stock. My only BM dealer is Ace Hardware and they carry a limited line and even less product knowledge. I used to buy Dunn Edwards, which I really liked until they never had anything I needed in stock. If I painted exteriors everything would be fine. But considering I only really use Emerald urethane, Advance or Aristoshield it's been really tough.

I have a local PPG and I'll probably swing by to get some Breakthrough when the right project calls for it.

The guys at SW are nice enough but that doesn't matter if I can't get the product.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
My line of work is going to be mostly rentals, with some higher end work potentially there.
I will support SW.
SW has paint for all levels of work, from cheapest rental type work to high end products and industrial products. I think finding product you need and pricing should not be too much of a problem.
I am not a fan of HD and here is why, only the paint dept manager can custom tint paint, I am not putting paint in a shopping cart and wheeling it across the parking lot. Behr paint does not roll out very well. I do not buy paint at Ace Hardware even though I am very loyal to my local Ace for so many other needs.

I will agree SW has pricing issues, likewise buying larger quantities of paint can result in good deals through the coatings rep. Store managers have some discretion with pricing. Product reformulations can drive you crazy, not enough to drive me elsewhere.

My experience with SW is I am usually buying their higher end products and very rarely the lower end stuff, I think their products are generally excellent.
Get to know the SW coatings reps and they can be extremely helpful.

No local BM store so no opinion.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My opinion is find the store you like. Try them both out, you probably already know the products. Around here Western NC BM is to SW, what local supply house is to Lowes. But that often changes from store to store. In the Greater DC area SW was the winner I switched when moving here to BM.

Also kind of like buying a tractor, don't by a green just because it's green. I went blue because of my dealers stellar reputation.

·
Registered
Carpentry and Remodeling
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far I've called both stores, I got a part time at SW so I didn't get a whole lot of info, but he said I'd have to stop by and pick up the paperwork to start an account. I talked to the bm store and in less than ten minutes I was told there are 4 levels of contractor discounts, I was told I would be starting in level 4, he gave me an example price on regal select for my discount and he took my contact info. Pretty good service from bm so far. I didn't see a whole lot of products on their site for my location so that could be a factor. I'll have to ask at some point.

·
Registered
Carpentry and Remodeling
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My opinion is find the store you like. Try them both out, you probably already know the products. Around here Western NC BM is to SW, what local supply house is to Lowes. But that often changes from store to store. In the Greater DC area SW was the winner I switched when moving here to BM.

Also kind of like buying a tractor, don't by a green just because it's green. I went blue because of my dealers stellar reputation.
I wouldn't know, all I've used is orange.

·
Registered
Carpentry and Remodeling
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So here's the other side of the question. I know subjectively everyone has their favorites, but I Iike to keep things simple so let's keep it objective. What I've been using is Behr Premium Plus. I know everybody(almost) hates Behr but it's what my boss likes. It seems I can get lower cost paints from paint stores (A 100, ben, superpaint) for a pretty comparable cost to what I've been paying for behr. I know paint like regal select or duration will be leaps and bounds ahead, but will the paints I just listed be objectively significantly better than what I've been using? I don't know if he'll jump for the closer to $50 a gallon paint. I just want to know the details before I bring it up with him.

·
Registered
Remodeling and Renovations
46 Posts

A link to a great reviewer on the tube. His reviews are spot on and have helped me make good product/tool decisions, hope it helps.

·
Registered
Carpentry and Remodeling
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

A link to a great reviewer on the tube. His reviews are spot on and have helped me make good product/tool decisions, hope it helps.
Well none of the specific paints I'm interested in unfortunately. Good info nonetheless. Also, is it normal to get emerald for $50 a gallon with an account? That seems kind of cheap to me unless you spend a lot in a year.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
I think Ben s^cks and isn't even cheap. Go higher or find alternatives. For rentals, SW should be fine using Promar.

·
Windwash
627 Posts
Get away from the box stores. We use SW for most stuff but have an account at BM that we use occasionally when a customer picks stuff there.

The main thing is to find a store that gives you good service and they make your life easier. You call in your order and just grab it and go to pick it up. No waiting in lines. Drop off a sample of stained trim to match along with a fresh cutoff of the new trim and a day or two later you have a can of stain that matches the remodel you're working on. That kind of stuff.

·
Registered
General Contractor
55 Posts
We have both BM & SW fairly central to most of our sites. Definitely, both have pros and cons. Ultimately, SW ends up working better for us because their commercial/industrial branch is just down the street from the store we use. So, sometimes if they're out of a few tint bases, etc. we can pull from that store. Mainly SW wins for their inventory convenience.

And as Wind and others mentioned, finding a store with decent people and good service to make work efficient and life easier is the key.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Well none of the specific paints I'm interested in unfortunately. Good info nonetheless. Also, is it normal to get emerald for $50 a gallon with an account? That seems kind of cheap to me unless you spend a lot in a year.
I think I paid like $80/gallon for Emerald when I painted my own house last year. Super viscuous. Slight odor like ammonia(?). Absolutely amazing how heavy that stuff can go on without sagging, dripping, or running.

I am not high volume and had only used Emerald once before, when it came out and I got a big discount for trying it. Exterior paint 5 or 6 years ago, still looks fresh.

I pretty much use only exterior. Lots of 1 gallon cans for matching existing paint on siding or trim repair jobs.

I think I pay about $35/gal for A100, and $45/Resilience.

Looks like I paid $92 for a gallon of Superpaint and a gallon of Latitude.

I don’t like Superpaint, my helper picked it up for a repair, maybe that was all they had. Seems like it is guaranteed to need two coats.

They say the Latitude is replacing Resilience. They seem similar.

As far as application,

The Marquee is decent, seems almost comparable to A100. I prefer to spend less for a better product, but when SW runs out, you use what you can get.

I used a partial fiver of SW Contractor grade interior that was left over on a job. I thought it was washup, but I got another gallon to finish and it was just as bad. Run away from that stuff. ProMar 200 works fine for me on interiors.

Ben exterior seems comparable to ProMar 200 or Marquee. Okay. Slightly thinner than I prefer.

I tried mid grade Miller paint a couple years ago. Like cheap Behr, it ran like washup.

I’m happy with A100 for exterior repairs. Most of the houses I work on need repaint sooner than later anyway.

I like Resilience or Duration for repaints. Emerald for my house.

Not a fanboy, but I do prefer SW paints after trying out the others.

YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
286 Posts
No one size fits all solution for me. I’m more use to Sherwin’s products after years of using them, especially, proclassic hybrid, super paint and duration, both interior and exterior. Promar 200 isn’t bad for, I think, less than 30 a gallon but I’ve been moving away from it since going back on my own again, I think Duration is going to be my go to for walls, especially since they’ve cut my price down. I also have a really good rep from Sherwin who will help me figure out what I need and what’s available now that paint availability is so spotty and he’s been pretty good at getting my business by pushing pricing down.

I do still use Hirshfields a bit though, I really like their fresh start enamel underbody, especially for painting previously stained cabinets and trim, they carry Wooster brushes, rollers and poles, Old Masters products like the Armor I usually use for poly, General Finishes Gel Stain and reinforced builders paper. They’ve also been a lot better at being able to get some kind of oil primer for me during this shortage. Their Regal and Aura are great wall paints when they work but I’ve had a few weird batches too.

·
Registered
13,458 Posts
I like the SuperPaint. But I always do 2 coats on customers homes. On mine, one, and SuperPaint can go one thick enough on a warm day it won't run.

I love Miller 100 percent acrylic primer. Reminds me of the old Glidden formula Gripper. The PPG Gripper is passable, but not the miracle worker the old one was.

I use Pratt and Lambert as well. Good stuff and available at our local lumber yard. Still do two coats, unless it is a rental or customer choice.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Don’t hate, but I live in a small town in Tennessee. I use what is readily available when I do any painting and for the past couple of years have been using valspar medallion from my lumber yard. I have used sw, bm, ppg over the years and like the valspar just as well

·
Registered
328 Posts
I use Ben Moore, pretty much exclusively.. Aura and Regal select, Advance. You can try the Super Spec for apartments. Scuff X or Regal select would be my preference a single coat and a half would work well in apartments.

Remember with paint, it's the labor that cost not the product. So the better more expensive paint generally saves labor. Home owner dyi don't pay labor...

Once in awhile Sherwin, usually a client preference. Cashmere, I didn't like, A 100 I used for a retired painter, it was ok, only good for a few years. Duration is nice stuff as well as Emerald.

Either place I can phone I. My orders, Ben Moore store is privately held, and they have several locations.

·
Registered
13,458 Posts
Don’t hate, but I live in a small town in Tennessee. I use what is readily available when I do any painting and for the past couple of years have been using valspar medallion from my lumber yard. I have used sw, bm, ppg over the years and like the valspar just as well
The Medallion is great. I was doing a black and orange house. It looked better than it sounds.

Anyway, I stopped laying drops as I rolled the 3 foot wide wrap around lid.

It would not drip and covered beautifully. Then they stopped selling it around here.

Tried the other Valspars and they suck completely. Worst I've ever used.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 61 Posts