Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
You may have to go commercial. What style and box size are you dealing with?

·
Registered
117 Posts
zooter7878 said:
Is there anywhere i can find a single pole-3way double rocker switch.
I am assuming that your looking for a duplex (two switches on one yoke) switch to fit in a single gang box. (If I'm misundertanding, feel free to set me straight.)
If that's the case, why not just use a duplex 3-way and simply wire one of the switches to function as a single pole? In other words, only use the common and one of the two traveler terminals. The only difference would be it wouldn't have FFO and NO ... er, I mean, OFF and ON, written on the handle.
:D

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I t hought that this forum area was for electricians and such. 'Single pole' and 'three way' describe two different switches, and 'double rocker switch' describes nothing at all. This is not how an electrician would describe such a switch.

What you want would be properly described as a Decora 3 way and single pole combination device. Should be a stock item at a genuine electrical supply house.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Not being an electrician, I too was puzzled by what a 3-way single pole switch might be. I resigned myself to imagining that Rhett had properly deciphered the post. I'd say he nailed it. Looks to me like this is exactly what the guy wanted duplex switch - combimation single pole / 3-way

If it's not, don't blame me, I just do sewers. :cheesygri

·
Registered
117 Posts
mdshunk said:
I t hought that this forum area was for electricians and such. 'Single pole' and 'three way' describe two different switches, and 'double rocker switch' describes nothing at all. This is not how an electrician would describe such a switch.
The "double rocker" terminology sorta threw me too, which is why I assumed he was referring to a duplex-style switch. I wouldn't beat him up too bad, given the differences in regional trade slang. Down here a "handy box," a "utility box," and a "Raco 660" are all used to describe the same thing.

I worked up north a few times where "banjo box" and "trailer" were used to describe items I knew as "gang box" and "drop cord."

Below the Mason-Dixon line, a "trailer" is what someone loses when there's a hurricane or a divorce. ;)

Good sleuthing, figuring out he wanted a Decor device. I missed that part. :Thumbs:

And this MUST be the forum for electricians, since I saw the thread on the "grounds up / grounds down" debate. Who else but us sparky's would argue over that?

·
Registered
117 Posts
PipeGuy said:
I resigned myself to imagining that Rhett had properly deciphered the post. I'd say he nailed it.

Thanks Pipe! But "deciphered" is exactly the right word, and I think mdshunk's answer was closer to the target. The terminology in the original post had me scratching my head for a moment. Guess I shoulda scratched for a few moments longer. After thinking on it, I have heard Harvey Homeowner refer to Decor devices as "rocker switches."
It is a challenge to give someone a helpful answer sometimes when they use terms that don't accurately identify what they're asking about.

I don't do sewers anymore (I sub it out) but I still get a call now and then. Here's one you'll like Pipe:

One of these out of state third party maintanence outfits that coordinates service work for (national discount store) had a sewer stoppage and called in a local franchise of (nationally known sewer and drain outfit) who managed to get their sewer auger stuck in the pipe. So what do they do? They cut it off and left it in the pipe, then left the job! I got a good laugh, but refered them to the guy I send all my sewer work to. He ought to get a good payday out of that one. :)

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
That's what I love about the trades. You get to see and hear the damndest things. I wish I had a nickel for every crazy thing I've seen that when telling someone about it I'm met with disbelief. Keep havin' fun :)

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Atri is right about regional terminology.
I worked with a guy from ME who seemed to speak an entirely different language when it came to tools and equipment. I have run into the same thing across the country and in Canada.
Want to have some real fun? Go to SW Loosiana and hang with them cajun's for a few weeks.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
The first time someone said to me "I need you to carry me home" I thought they were crazy. :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
what you need is a combination single pole /3 way switch available in white or ivory at home depot or lowes sells for about $8 bucks dont forget the .22 coverplate

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
Want to have some real fun? Go to SW Loosiana and hang with them cajun's for a few weeks.

Yeah, - - you got that right, - - I worked with those cajuns about 20 some years ago, - - down in New Iberia (20 miles south of Lafayette), - - different festival every weekend, - - crawfish, beer, shad, boudain, - - you name it, - - hard to even understand 'em talkin, - - it's like livin' in another country, - - everythings called somethin' different, - - I call a nail-puller a cat's-paw, - - they call it a pig's-foot, - - every other person's name down there is either Hebert or Beaudreaux, - - but fun, - - hell, yeah, - - never known another place like it.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Ever had better food? Those folks squeeze every drop out of life.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Food, women, wine, song, - - they got it all, - - most interesting place and people I've ever experienced, - - a little behind the times, but you never missed a beat there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. I'm not an electrician exactly,so if my terminology is wrong sorry. I work for an insurance restoration comp. I really apreciate your help. Take it easy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mdshunk said:
Reason #1 why you shouldn't be doing this and an actual electrician should.

Don't get mad, I just enjoy learning new aspects of construction. I may be able to help you sometime. Relax brother

1 - 20 of 20 Posts