Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some receps that need wired up and am having a hard time getting my head around how this needs to be done. Didn't know if someone could direct me to a diagram or explain this to me. I can't find anything online that shows multiple outlets.

SR means switched receptacle.

Feed - SR - SR - SR - SR - SR - SR - SR - SR - Switch

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,971 Posts
You need 14/3 or 12/3 between the receps.

·
Registered
818 Posts
You could use 12-3 and use red as the power leg to the switch, obviously not connecting it to the outlets, just wire nut it at each box, just off the top of my head so beware.

Or, put the switch first and break the black wire with it.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
You need 14/3 or 12/3 between the receps.
Remember to break the tab of the bronze side off if you are doing a split receptacle too. One side should be always hot, and the other controlled by the switch. Keep them consistent.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well, looks like I screwed up. I ran 12/2 in for feed. 12/3 between receps. And 12/2 from the last recep to the switch.

Is it possible if I've only got 12/2 running from last outlet to the switch? Looks like I may just have regular outlets...

·
Registered
818 Posts
I think you can do that, but you will have to use the white as power to/from the switch, which may or may not be against code. I'd mark it with black tape. The switch doesn't need a neutral

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Well, looks like I screwed up. I ran 12/2 in for feed. 14/3 between receps. And 12/2 from the last recep to the switch.

Is it possible if I've only got 12/2 running from last outlet to the switch? Looks like I may just have regular outlets...
I'm sure sparky will correct me if I'm wrong, but the 12/2 from the last plug to the switch, use both of them as black wires. So in the last recep box wire nut the red to the white, go to the switch with white, and black out of the switch to the recep

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Well, looks like I screwed up. I ran 12/2 in for feed. 14/3 between receps. And 12/2 from the last recep to the switch.

Mixing wire size in the same circuit?....

Not seen it done out here.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,971 Posts

You'll need to install a 15a breaker to protect the circuit due to the 14/3.

Unorthodox, to be sure. But not a violation.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

My bad guys. It was a typo. Its all 12 gauge. I'll go back and change it.

I'll recode the white from the switch to the last outlet. I think it might be code in some places that you have to have a neutral in the box based on a diagram I saw last night. The diagram said the code changed in 2012. This is my house so I'll just make it work this time.

I was hoping to find a diagram on how to wire up the outlets. I have never wired up switched outlets before and I'm 100% clear how its done. I'll keep looking. I don't want to have to go back and rewire 10 receps.

Thanks for all the input thus far...even the crayon drawings. True dedication right there. :laughing:

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think this diagram explains it well enough.

As far as wiring up the receps in series goes, this shows that I am always going to have my black and white on the top. Top plug in is always hot. Red goes on brass terminal on the bottom, which would mean I need to pig tail the reds together. I assume you don't need a neutral on the opposite terminal because that side is connected?

I think I got it now.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts