Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

101 - 105 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Only one thing that miffs me more... A Box that is a hair too deep and the E/Trician did NOT set the Outlet/Switch at the correct depth so that a mildly over tightened plate will "pull" the Sw/Out flush and snug with the Plate.

I DESPISE a "mushy switch" or "wiggly outlet"! Or ones too deep and there is the "rim gap" around the toggle itself!
Receptacles & switches are ALL set slightly proud of face plates & straight/plumb or however you want to call it.
All this being said, a bit off and somewhat on topic, I'll admit, but what method do you guys find works best (other than attaching the box in the wall correctly the first time of course :clap:) to straighten out plugs and switches so they work out flush and even?

I often work on renovating older properties and am forced to make do with making it fit and have seen lots of different practices, from using various washers to space out plugs and switches, to wrapping bare or insulated 12 ga. wire around the screws to help them sit out and be snug. It seems to take me awhile of trial and error, at least half the time, so some advice on how I could speed that part of my job up would be fantastic!

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I like the flexible decora plates too...every once in a while a plate need a bit of "customization". :thumbsup:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hmm. I'll have to give those a look see. Never even knew something like that existed! Learn something new everyday..

·
Carbon Dioxide Producer
782 Posts
I’m just wondering, on a finish punch-out, what kind of Neanderthal doesn’t use a plastic non-marring level on all of his devices and wall plates and align all of the plate screws in the same direction, then wipe the plate and wall area with a clean white paper towel lightly dampened with glass cleaner when finished.

I'm guessing probably the same kind of hump that pulls his "Romex" from the center of the coil and feeds it directly through the misaligned holes he drilled in the wood studs, without even straightening the twists and curls in the cable first.
:hang:

101 - 105 of 105 Posts