Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Tech Geek
2,654 Posts
Slots up...it's all about the details. The HO may not notice now, but when they do it will stick in their head as a conversation point when talking with friends about contractors. "You want to know how anal my electrician is?"

·
paper hanger,painter
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Slots up...it's all about the details. The HO may not notice now, but when they do it will stick in their head as a conversation point when talking with friends about contractors. "You want to know how anal my electrician is?"
Or the painter or wall paper hanger who has to take them all off and replaced them:laughing:. I have always replaced them in the vertical position, never thought about it, just looks better to me.:blink:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Vertical. It adds a nice touch. Just shows that you care. One of my pet peeves are painters or drywall finishers who remove plates and either don't put them back on, lose them or the screws, or put them on wrong (not tight to wall crooked or not tight screws) It makes my work look like crap because they are too lazy to work around them. :censored:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Ok, here is the real deal. I make sure they are verticle. I wire lots of houses. If I get called back for any reason, first thing I look at is the angle of the dangle on the screws on the device that is the subject of the callback. If they are not like I left them, there is no warranty cause it got tampered with....

·
paper hanger,painter
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Vertical. It adds a nice touch. Just shows that you care. One of my pet peeves are painters or drywall finishers who remove plates and either don't put them back on, lose them or the screws, or put them on wrong (not tight to wall crooked or not tight screws) It makes my work look like crap because they are too lazy to work around them. :censored:
One of my pet peeves is the lazy electrician who leaves his mess( wood chips,dust,wire cuttings, wire,wire nuts,screws,etc.) behind for me to clean up.:censored:

Hey, not saying you do this but they are out there, just as there might be one or two painters who do not know or care to attach a switch plate:jester: Do not put us all in the same catagory please.I even have a box of re placement screws and all manner of plates as a backup in my truck.:tt2:

·
Registered
910 Posts
One of my pet peeves is the lazy electrician who leaves his mess( wood chips,dust,wire cuttings, wire,wire nuts,screws,etc.) behind for me to clean up.:censored:

Hey, not saying you do this but they are out there, just as there might be one or two painters who do not know or care to attach a switch plate:jester: Do not put us all in the same catagory please.I even have a box of re placement screws and all manner of plates as a backup in my truck.:tt2:
In this neck of the woods that's EVERY electrician. They're too busy fumbling with their little torpedo levels plumbing up the screw slots to see the mess on the floor.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,709 Posts
Ok, here is the real deal. I make sure they are verticle. I wire lots of houses. If I get called back for any reason, first thing I look at is the angle of the dangle on the screws on the device that is the subject of the callback. If they are not like I left them, there is no warranty cause it got tampered with....
So if someone just removed & replaced the plate in order to do a nice paint/wallpaper job, you void your warranty?

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I would pay more attention to how the wires are tucked in the box. If someone tampered with the wiring, you would know by how your nuts are positioned.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
391 Posts
So if someone just removed & replaced the plate in order to do a nice paint/wallpaper job, you void your warranty?
Nope, but it is the first visable tipoff. Not that it happens hardly ever anyway, but for instance: I got a call back, lady says breaker is humming. I go and sure enough a very slight hum sound from a circuit breaker in panel. Swap it out, and it is still humming. Turn it off and go see what the is on the circuit. Right away I found a receptacle - screws all goofy. Open box up and see lamp cord on outlet going out the back of the box. Look more and locate a fan downstairs that wasn't there when I left the job. Fan is fed with lampcord, and has remote control. Fan makes breaker hum. Who knows why, I don't care, I cut the wires and breaker stops the hum. I didn't find the ceiling fan first, I found cockeye screws first. She was sure that there would be warranty coverage when I first arrived. I left rich...$$$

·
ampman
783 Posts
Nope, but it is the first visable tipoff. Not that it happens hardly ever anyway, but for instance: I got a call back, lady says breaker is humming. I go and sure enough a very slight hum sound from a circuit breaker in panel. Swap it out, and it is still humming. Turn it off and go see what the is on the circuit. Right away I found a receptacle - screws all goofy. Open box up and see lamp cord on outlet going out the back of the box. Look more and locate a fan downstairs that wasn't there when I left the job. Fan is fed with lampcord, and has remote control. Fan makes breaker hum. Who knows why, I don't care, I cut the wires and breaker stops the hum. I didn't find the ceiling fan first, I found cockeye screws first. She was sure that there would be warranty coverage when I first arrived. I left rich...$$$
i cannot count the number of times i have found lamp cord wired to devices

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
I would pay more attention to how the wires are tucked in the box. If someone tampered with the wiring, you would know by how your nuts are positioned.:thumbsup:
I prefer my nuts positioned low and in a comfortable position. So you are saying that you can tell if a device has been tampered with by the position of your nuts? How is this done? do you remove the cover and reach into your pants or just drop trowsers and look in the mirror. Inquiring minds want to know!

41 - 60 of 105 Posts