Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
I hope this is not off the subject, but it is related and I've never been given a good explanation nor could I figure it out.
In suburban Chicago, EVERYTHING must be run in EMT. Romex is not allowed except anywhere near the city. However, local custom is to install receptactles the opposite way than the NEC requires. (For vertical receptacles, ground down, and horizontal receptacles, hot on top). It runs completely contrary to the reason for the NEC requirement. (That is if a metal cover plate becomes loose, they want gravity to have it drop on the most harmless thing)
Does anyone know why our area is different?

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
However, local custom is to install receptactles the opposite way than the NEC requires. (For vertical receptacles, ground down, and horizontal receptacles, hot on top). It runs completely contrary to the reason for the NEC requirement. (That is if a metal cover plate becomes loose, they want gravity to have it drop on the most harmless thing)
Does anyone know why our area is different?

Tell me where to find this NEC requirement.....

I'll give you a hint.....under the Lochness Monster's pillow.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
LOL Celtic
My point exactly.
It has ALWAYS baffled me.
If you dont believe me, fly to O'Hare Airport and spend a few minutes in our area.
This is "just how they are placed here"
If you think I am exaggerating, check with Angus. He is from this area too.
It defies NEC logic but always done here.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,672 Posts
.......However, local custom is to install receptactles the opposite way than the NEC requires. (For vertical receptacles, ground down, and horizontal receptacles, hot on top). It runs completely contrary to the reason for the NEC requirement. (That is if a metal cover plate becomes loose, they want gravity to have it drop on the most harmless thing)........
........It defies NEC logic but always done here.
Is your NEC written by the NFPA or the Easter bunny?

Ground up/down is not, not has it ever been, an NEC dictum.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
:laughing:
I think you guys actually believe I am making this up.
Let's phone a friend-Angus
The easter bunny has me on his blocked senders list.

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
Is your NEC written by the NFPA or the Easter bunny?

Ground up/down is not, not has it ever been, an NEC dictum.
I thought you knew.. the easter bunny actually owed the toothfairy money.. see the make believe mob tapped the toothfairy long ago to be their "silent inforcer".. and the rest is history. Why else would the tooth fairy show up when you are sleeping? Try not payin what you owe and wake up the next morning! :blink:

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
:laughing:
I think you guys actually believe I am making this up.
Let's phone a friend-Angus
The easter bunny has me on his blocked senders list.
I believe you when you tell us Chicago gives a crap about up/down
I do NOT believe you when you say the NEC gives a crap about up/down.

The easy way to prove it is to simply post the article number :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
You guys are good. I just checked 406.4 and you are right. It doesn't list a requirement.
It's funny how some things just get stuck in your head over the years. (The theory is correct, but it really isn't required)
Thanks for the reality check guys.
Now I can sleep well at night (as long as I use plastic cover plates:))

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,672 Posts
You guys are good. I just checked 406.4 and you are right. It doesn't list a requirement.
It's funny how some things just get stuck in your head over the years. (The theory is correct, but it really isn't required)
Thanks for the reality check guys.
Now I can sleep well at night (as long as I use plastic cover plates:))
The arguments (or in your words, theory) for both sides of the 'ground-up/ground-down' argument are equally valid.

Reactions: rselectric1

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
I think a lot of guys from places like Chicago and NYC believe their local amendments are national or NEC codes simply from doing the same thing for so long they just don't know any different, and assume every place is the same.

·
ampman
783 Posts
They actually have an NEC amendment requiring the plate screws to be oriented vertically? :blink:
no i was just kidding but this is what we tell the greehorns around here its by the NEC only no local codes at all

·
Registered
312 Posts
All I can say is if the screws are not vertical I know that either the place was painted or there has been someone other than a real electrician in the box.

Rob

21 - 40 of 105 Posts