Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
paper hanger,painter
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has been gone over in the past but as a painter, paper hanger,I remove and replace countless switch plates,outlet covers and was just wondering what the professional electricians prefer, horizontal or vertical screw placement?I must say,I rarely( I can only think of one other time) seen horizontal ,but the job I was on yesterday in Baltimore county, they were. Just wondering.:blink:

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Vertical ... catches less dust over time.:thumbsup:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Ahhhhh, who gives a ****!!
From what I can see very few people who fasten decora plates on don't.

Long live screwless plates!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't understand the question. Don't switch plate screws just get screwed into the holes and turned until they are tight? How do you have a choice between horizontal or vertical?

Here's a pic if it helps.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,664 Posts
What difference does the direction of the slot make to a painter?

They just lose the covers and screws anyway, and then the HO or builder calls the electrician back to replace them.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
75% of the plates I take off have just been painted around or in place! I though painters just used screwdrivers to open cans of paint:w00t:

Reactions: DJ9222

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
In the chicago area, they call the screw slot "soldiering them up" meaning vertical. I like "timeless" idea that they catch less dust, but in the overall scope of things, it just doesn't matter.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,916 Posts
Is this discussion seriously about how the slots of the little screws are turned?
As inane as it might seem, details like that are serious business. It's the gestalt of all the little things as well as the major things that establishes the customer's opinion of your overall abilities and attention to detail. That's how someone whose prices are equal to or even higher than yours often gets the job. :thumbsup:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,664 Posts
Is this discussion seriously about how the slots of the little screws are turned?
Absolutely. Marriages have been dissolved over the toilet-paper-over-the-top-or-down-the-back issue, and some electricians are just as adamant about what direction the screw slots go.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
Makes our punch list every time...vertical for us...

I couldn't care less in my house....I'm still missing 1/2 my plates. When I actually put them on I allign them, guess it's about "dotting your "I""s and crossing you "T"s"....dust collection is the first real argument I've ever heard. As long as both screws are the same, it looks better IMO whether Hor., or Vert.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts