Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing some renovation work on an 106 year old building. There are a couple places where the obvious solution to switching the lights (surface mount boxes on log walls) would be pull chains or toggles mounted in a knock-out in the box. Is there such a switch.

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
Sorry, I for one am not following you here Thom. Are there no boxes by the doorways?

The AHJ might require you to be able to turn on a light when you enter the door rather than having to know where the lamps are and flip a switch at the base of the luminaire deep inside the room.

Need more info to help you.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no switches by the doorway, it's a commercial use (private club). I just want to mount pull chain or toggle switches in a knock-out space on the box.

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
no switches by the doorway, it's a commercial use (private club). I just want to mount pull chain or toggle switches in a knock-out space on the box.
In the absence of any means of switching, you are best off with a pullchain. People will reach for one. Whereas a toggle on the box would be nearly impossible to find, (and probably harder to reach) unless they knew exactly where it was.

How about a "clapper":laughing:

Edit-the clapper thing was a joke, but it occurred to me they really do make wireless remote switches. (Like the Billy Mays thing) that might be useful.

ALTHOUGH you didn't hear that from me!

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree, a pull chain is preferable to a toggle. So, is there a pull chain switch that will mount in a 1/2" knockout. I really don't want to install bare-bulb fixtures.

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
I agree, a pull chain is preferable to a toggle. So, is there a pull chain switch that will mount in a 1/2" knockout. I really don't want to install bare-bulb fixtures.
I'm sure there is one, but they are usually integral to the luminaire itself. Check your local electrical supply house for that. Also make sure that it is UL listed to cover your a$$.

Let this questions sit for ahwile so 480, mag, bubbles, zinsco, and the others can put in their ideas too.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked the supply house this afternoon. they two counter guys said they'd never heard of one. They have a pull chain that is made for a ceiling fan but it takes a 3/8" hole.

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
Supply house guys should know if they make one. (Good supply houses anyway)

As an electrician, I would recommend hard wired switches, but there may be another way I don't know about.

Let's see what the other sparky's say about it. I'm POSITIVE you will get more input from the other guys here on what might be available to you.

You might get info through PM from the guys I mentioned above (and those are only a few of the pros on this site who may respond-the list here is pretty long), since you are a regular poster and the solutions may differ from what we are comfortable mentioning on the boards.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The real issue is, it's a historic building. I just can't cut things out to get power and switches where I want them. The finish in this room is logs, the ceiling is logs with no hollow space above, there is no way to run conduit or cable to a decent switch location.

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
The AHJ should be cutting you tons of slack then. It's sometime hard to get two egos on the same page, but have you involved them? (The local historical society and the building department?)

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,611 Posts
What exactly is the room being used for? Is it something like a conference or meeting room? Maybe you could look into an occupancy sensor.

Reactions: rselectric1

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,816 Posts
I checked the supply house this afternoon. they two counter guys said they'd never heard of one. They have a pull chain that is made for a ceiling fan but it takes a 3/8" hole.
I may get castigated for this, but sometimes the solution for a Gordian Knot is just to whack it with a sword.

A while back, someone invented a thing called a "washer". :thumbsup:

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The room is a pool room in a private club. There will be a light over the table with a pull chain and a sconce at each end of the room that I would to switch with pull chains. There will also be two emergency lights.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
How price sensitive are you?

If you could hide some RF switches at each fixture then use a keypad anywhere in the building and have complete remote lighting control.

Any system from Lutron, HAI or Control4 can do it.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The remotes might do it, I try for simplicity here. Pull chains are pretty simple and pretty obvious.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts